Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By dayglo
Hi,
I obtained my licence and SEP rating in September 2014. In 2016 I completed the requirements to renew the SEP rating including the hour long training flight and a stamp in my log book. I assumed that I was good to go for another 24 months from Sept 2016 (with current medical) but have been informed that some paperwork should have been completed and sent to the CAA? Along with log book etc? and because I haven't done this that my rating is invalid and will now have to undergo further training and proficiency check. Is this correct? Does anyone know the name of the form that needs to be completed? The CAA website isn't particularly clear about this (to me anyway) and the implication is that as long as Ihave completed the 12 hours in the final year and had the training flight stamped in log book etc that all should be ok.

I would be grateful for clarification on this and some pointers to the CAA website if possible. Thanks in advance

PS. if this is the case that I should have submitted paperwork, is it too late now?
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Assuming this isn't for an LAPL...

Yes, along with meeting the requirements, you also have to have an examiner (or the instructor if they have the privileges) sign your licence and submit a form to the CAA before rating expiry. You don't need to send your log book or anything like that, just the form. If this signature and form have not been completed before the SEP expiry date, then you have to do training to the satisfaction of the training organisation and then a test.

Yes, it's barking, but that's the way things are.
By Irv Lee
Sounds very odd. Don't worry about the CAA bit, that won't be problem, what does it say as the final written line entry in that tabular bit of your licence? (Bottom left of a4 licence page.... assuming it is not cut up...), And what was written in your log book by whomever you saw? I suspect you might have confused the single instructor flight which is only a little bit of the revalidation requirements with the revalidation itself.
By dayglo
It says 30/09/2016. This being my first revalidation I wasn't aware that paperwork had to be done etc. I'll bite the bullet and go for the refresher training and test. As far As I'm aware the test is fairly straightforward and doesn't involve pesky nav with charts, crayons and slide rules etc?
By Irv Lee
All you had to do was (before 30/9/2016) show an examiner that you had done everything you needed to do, and he or she would have written 30/9/2018 in your licence and that is the legal bit you needed. Yes a form would have gone off but the licence signature is the legal bit.(You might have been able to get the instructor you used for your training flight too as the person signing you for a further 2 years to Sept 2018, if he or she had what is called 945 privileges.)
Your original school should have drummed this on into you, possibly you forgot every detail .
Renewal check (test) does have a bit of vfr nav, but they usually last an hour total including handling and nav, give or take.