Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
I currently have an EASA PPL with an SEP rating and a UK NPPL with an SSEA rating. I have been recently looking at flying 3-axis microlights as a cheaper way of flying. Some microlights look very interesting and those friends who fly them say they are fun and just as capable as the basic Cessnas or PA28s, etc - just much cheaper to run and maintain.

What do I have to do to get a microlight rating added to my NPPL? I can find lots of information about 'upgrading' an NPPL (M) to a LAPL or a PPL (A), but nothing on the requirements to go the other way.

Now that microlights are being welcomed back to the 'Bushe, it seems a good time to investigate further.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It depends on individual circumstances whether to go for differences training (at the time quicker probably, cheaper surely) but there are circumstances when it is worth the new rating for some pilots. If most of future flying is microlight for example, 11 hours p1 on a microlight plus 1 training hour dual on ssea gets both nppl ratings into revalidation signature territory by asking for date alignment. The odd thing about it all is that you could have been flying microlights for ten years on an Sep rating and have hundreds of hours on them, be very current, and you still do a test to get a microlight rating.