Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Everyone,

To my families delight, I am looking to get back into flying after nearly a seven year absence (can't believe it has been that long!) and I am wondering if anyone can help clarify whether my EASA Class 2 Medical will be an "Initial" Medical?

My original medical was a CAA Class 3 in 1997 and latterly a JAA Class 2 in 2002. The validity of this expired in July 2007 and I was flying on the basis of my FAA Medical until Summer of 2011, I am now 40 and am aware my new medical will be valid for only 2 years.

Currently looking into the SEP renewal and converting to EASA licence (I believe I now have all the forms/requirements), will start another thread for the renewal/conversion route to ensure I have the requirements nailed.

Many thanks in advance.

Richard
By WelshRichy
I've booked my EASA Class 2 medical with a local AME for 23/4/18 and has confirmed it will be a renewal as although my JAA Class 2 is now eleven years after expiry (nearly) I still held one and therefore need only a renewal.

I have my opticians report and am awaiting a letter from my GP as I do have asthma from a young age, well controlled though and the AME needs only a letter confirming my medication and no hospital visits in the last five years (touch wood, I've never been admitted to hospital for anything). My Peak Flow is pretty good and I won't need to do any further spirometry tests.

I'll need an ECG in any case as I'm now 40 (will be 41 and two days on medical day so will need to be relatively restrained celebration wise on my birthday!) :)
By Flyin'Dutch'
WelshRichy wrote:I'll need an ECG in any case as I'm now 40 (will be 41 and two days on medical day so will need to be relatively restrained celebration wise on my birthday!) :)

If you've had an ECG at an aviation medical before (you probably did ) then you should not need an ECG until your first medical past age 50.
According to MED A 045, after 5 years an initial examination is required and if the candidate is over age 40 an ECG is required even if one was performed in the past. I believe these requirements are programmed in AME Online.

MED.A.045 Validity, revalidation and renewal of medical certificates
c) Renewal
(2) In the case of Class 1 and Class 2 medical certificates:
(i) if the medical certificate has expired for more than 2 years, the AeMC or AME shall only conduct the renewal examination after assessment of the aero-medical records of the applicant;
(ii) if the medical certificate has expired for more than 5 years, the examination requirements for initial issue shall apply and the assessment shall be based on the revalidation requirements
By WelshRichy
Thanks Tailbob, looks like (2)(ii) applies to me. I’ve got my full ophthalmology report yesterday in any case and just waiting for my asthma current/history letter from my GP. Never been in hospital but the AME wants confirmation of this (well he actually wants five years) and my inhalers. Fingers crossed for the 23rd April.