Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By design4p
Hi,

I have made and an appointment for my LAPL medical with my GP and I have read the notes for the GP and it appears he goes to the CAA webpage listed in the notes and completes the appropriate form.

I looked at this page and could not find any link to a form for the GP to complete.

Just wondering if the page knows that a GP has arrived at the page rather than a mere pilot.

Can anyone shed some light on this curiosity.

John
By dall1234
I've had bit of a battle of explaining to my GP what he needed to do, after leaving him the paperwork etc.
He then contacted me and said he'd be happy to sort the medical out :D , for £200! Nooo! :(
Now I'm looking for an AME around B'ham who obviously already knows what is required, and likely to charge half that ...
By kanga
dall1234 wrote:..
Now I'm looking for an AME around B'ham who obviously already knows what is required, .....

if Staverton is close enough (and there are obviously other reasons to visit it :) ) I can recommend this team with premises on the airport:

www.glosteraviationmedicals.co.uk

Fly in, and hope you don't fail so you can fly out again .. :?
dall1234 liked this
By webdevduck
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I tried to get a LAPL medical from my GP. I called my surgery, which was engaged as usual. After a number of attempts I got through and was told to call another surgery in the group. Who, at the third attempt of trying to get through to them, told me to email them. Who then told me I needed to speak to someone else. Who then said they would look into it.

That was the best part of two months ago and I still haven't heard back. One month ago I found the website of my local AME (Aviation Medicals Wessex) and booked an appointment online. I turned up the following week for a cup of tea, a pleasant chat and some less pleasant prodding, and left with a class II certificate valid for the next five years. This cost quite a bit less than the 200 pounds mentioned above (£130 to be exact), and was a lot less hassle than dealing with my GP.
By Flying_john
Same story down South too. I went through the letter to GP, make an appointment, explain all, make another appointment, explain again to an administrator then to be told £100 just for the admin , before even a stethoscope was warmed up.

So I found an AME £85 ! - all done.

I would still like to get a self declared medical and either continue with a LAPL and self dec, or my UK CAA PPL(A) on a self dec for all aircraft in UK airspace.
By cockney steve
Big Brother really has insidiously infiltrated, hasn't he?

How the hell can a Doctor- submitted Medical , possibly be "self- declared "?

NO! A box ticked by the applicant, stating "I declare that I am fit enough, mentally and physically, to drive a motor-car in the UK ".... would fulfil that description.
The applicant may well have never driven in the UK, or, indeed, anywhere. Indeed, I suspect many have never driven in some of the crazier countries in the world, but the regulations, AIUI , merely require fitness, not competence, to hold a UK licence to drive. :?:
By flybymike
Holding any other flavour of medical is no bar to doing a self-declaration

And yet still seems to cause confusion with the CAA registration software apparently necessitating a phone call from the AME to the CAA to sort it out.
By flybymike
cockney steve wrote:Big Brother really has insidiously infiltrated, hasn't he?

How the hell can a Doctor- submitted Medical , possibly be "self- declared "?

NO! A box ticked by the applicant, stating "I declare that I am fit enough, mentally and physically, to drive a motor-car in the UK ".... would fulfil that description.
The applicant may well have never driven in the UK, or, indeed, anywhere. Indeed, I suspect many have never driven in some of the crazier countries in the world, but the regulations, AIUI , merely require fitness, not competence, to hold a UK licence to drive. :?:

Steve an LAPL medical is not self declared.
A UK pilot medical declaration is indeed self declared with no GP involvement.
The latter may only be used with a U.K. licence and will be useless for EASA aircraft in a few weeks time, (when presumably all PMD holders will become medical wrecks overnight.)
cockney steve liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
flybymike wrote:
Holding any other flavour of medical is no bar to doing a self-declaration

And yet still seems to cause confusion with the CAA registration software apparently necessitating a phone call from the AME to the CAA to sort it out.

Yup, it does.

But luckily for pilots this is only a problem for AMEs. Anyone holding a medical can do the self-declaration.
A le Ron liked this