Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By NegativeG
Hi, with all the headlines/doom of 8th April circulating clubhouses around the country, could somebody please answer my simple question on the subject if possible.

I currently have an NPPL (m) with no desire to ever fly Cessna's/Pipers etc.. After the 8th April will I still be able to add an SSEA to my NPPL in order to fly only annex2 type aircraft on my current medical self declaration.

Many thanks in hopefully helping to clear up todays latest clubhouse disagreement :roll:
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes, the NPPL will continue to exist, and you will be able to add a SSEA class rating to the NPPL after 08th April 2018. However, as things currently stand, you would not be able to take advantage of the conversion agreement if you obtain SSEA privileges on or after 08th April 2018. Thereafter, a FULL course of EASA training and testing would be required to obtain a LAPL(A) or PPL(A).

However, the issue is more complicated were you to have operating restrictions, because then you would require solo training as part of the SSEA class rating conversion...and most flying clubs have EASA aeroplanes.

I recommend you get on and complete the process to add a SSEA class rating prior to the 08th April so that you can take advantage of the conversion agreement and convert to an EASA LAPL(A) ***AT ANY TIME*** in the future should you wish.

Cookie
By NegativeG
That's great, many thanks for all your replies & confirmation that the NPPL ratings aren't about to die on 8th April.

The NPPL license is perfect for many pilots who simply wish to tour the UK with the occasional hop to France & it should be championed as it offers something that was lacking in the UK for many years..... a relatively cheap affordable flying license with minimal red tape & medical restrictions.

Long may it continue :D