Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi all,

Did a quick search but nothing immediately flagged up, so I was wondering if the forum hive mind knew anything...

I'm in a group running an N reg Archer in the UK. Over the past few days a couple of the members have been asked if they have a 'restricted radiotelephony / radiotelephone permit' in order to use the radio in the UK (I don't know who's been doing the asking... just that it's become a hot topic over the group texts!).

Is this needed?

I was under the impression that you could fly a UK based N-reg in the UK on your EASA licence, but if you wanted to take it out of the UK you'd need to get an FAA licence (either full or piggyback). I hadn't heard anything about needing an FAA/FCC permit to be able to use the radio.

We all have FRTOLs on our licenses...

Can someone more intelligent / knowledgeable than me advise if this is needed (and preferably point me to the appropriate regulations that I can send to the rest of the group) as I'm drawing a blank with Google.

Cheers all :)

Nick
Thanks Riverrock - I'm pretty sure the people in the group who have the FAA licences have the Restricted Radiotelephony licence also... but what about those who are flying it in the UK (and only the UK) on their UK issued EASA license as per §61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.

(a) Required pilot certificate for operating a civil aircraft of the United States. No person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of the United States, unless that person:

(1) Has in the person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization—

(i) A pilot certificate issued under this part and in accordance with §61.19;

(ii) A special purpose pilot authorization issued under §61.77;

(iii) A temporary certificate issued under §61.17;

(iv) A document conveying temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges issued by the Airmen Certification Branch under §61.29(e); or

(v) When operating an aircraft within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used.

Or does that fall under this line in your link...

a foreign aircraft pilot certificate which is valid in the United States on the basis of reciprocal agreements with foreign governments
?

Thanks for the help so far :thumleft:

edited to say: I've navigated my way through the FCC website and applied for the restricted permit (and paid my $70), so hopefully that's all I need to do.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The restricted permit is to do with a Pilot's licence.
If you are flying in the UK, using your UK issued EASA PPL, there are no issues flying N-Reg. You can't attach a restricted FAA cert to an EASA licence.
If you are flying outside the USA, using an FAA licence, you need the extra cert (that includes a "based on" licence as that is an FAA licence).
Nick T, GolfHotel liked this