Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By BehyBill
Sorry to hear that, I don't remember the form I have used to get a TMG on top my PPL/SEP but the amount you quoted is the one that was debited on my card last year :twisted:

Just make sure when you send it again you have a letter that re-mention NPPL/SLMG + PPL/SEP ratings are current and valid (in capital letters) + copy of that email + certified copies of last pages of logbook + ID/Medical/PPLs/NPPLs by your BGA/CFI or ATO/CFI, preferably before April 2018

For sure form SRG1104 and no fee applies only when you go from NPPL/SLMG to LAPL/TMG, so they seem to throw everybody down this route :!:

FYI, always put your payment details on CAA forms you can recover the money latter :pale:
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I just got a note back from the FI who did the paperwork for my TMG. He says he did an SRG1104 and an SRG1119A plus a covering letter explaining the part of the legislation being applied.

Funnily enough I was talking to another FI who did something similar recently. He had an NPPL(SSEA & SLMG) who wanted an EASA part FCL TMG. The requirement for him was no training but a 150nm flight with two complete stops. Again, an SRG1104 was used plus a covering letter.

The key seems to be in the covering letter which needs to demonstrate the regulatory route being adopted. In essence, when you did your SEP you covered all the bases except the additional training to fly a (TMG/SLMG). The NPPL(SLMG) demonstrates that you have completed suitable training to fly a TMG. Thus there is no reason to withhold an EASA TMG licence.
By gopropilot
Thanks for your advice guys.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1119AIssue02enabled.pdf
Having downloaded the SRG1119A under section 6, do I put TMG under class rating?

What the hell is Powered Lift Aircraft Rating? leave that all blank?

section 7 FSTD Identification Number: what is this? guessing some location details?

I have had no instruction to copy logbook, how many pages should I copy, or just the page for GST SLMG...

Lastly, I am currently in the process of training to gain my EASA sailplane tow rating. Which I have to do before 8th April. Now I can imagine there is another fee, similar to this £121 requested for TMG. if its another £121, id be pretty stuffed, have class 2 reval next week too! poor student :(

Is it possible to apply for the tow rating on same form? and apply at the same time, would they charge one fee? or treated independently..

Finally, in their email correspondence the CAA say I must respond within 30 working days or face a bill of £ a lot.! working days to me is Monday to Friday which would give me 6weeks to respond, have I interpreted that correctly?

Reason I need that extra time is because If I can get the TMG and Tow on at the same time for one fee that would be great but, training for the tow is going very slow due to weather and Im banking on some nice weather in Easter, just before the deadline :oops:

Thanks for reading.
By low&slow
gopropilot wrote:Thanks for your advice guys.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1119AIssue02enabled.pdf
Having downloaded the SRG1119A under section 6, do I put TMG under class rating?

Yes

What the hell is Powered Lift Aircraft Rating? leave that all blank?

Yes

section 7 FSTD Identification Number: what is this? guessing some location details?

Flight Simulation Training Device - not relevant

I have had no instruction to copy logbook, how many pages should I copy, or just the page for GST SLMG...

Lastly, I am currently in the process of training to gain my EASA sailplane tow rating. Which I have to do before 8th April. Now I can imagine there is another fee, similar to this £121 requested for TMG. if its another £121, id be pretty stuffed, have class 2 reval next week too! poor student :(

Is it possible to apply for the tow rating on same form? and apply at the same time, would they charge one fee? or treated independently..

SRG 2157 is the tow rating application form, & it specifically excludes additional class ratings.
Finally, in their email correspondence the CAA say I must respond within 30 working days or face a bill of £ a lot.! working days to me is Monday to Friday which would give me 6weeks to respond, have I interpreted that correctly?

Reason I need that extra time is because If I can get the TMG and Tow on at the same time for one fee that would be great but, training for the tow is going very slow due to weather and Im banking on some nice weather in Easter, just before the deadline :oops:

Thanks for reading.

Don't worry too much about the deadline for the tow rating, AIUI the BGA is already an ATO with approval to train for the sailplane tow rating. So long as the person teaching you is a CRI or FI with tow rating instruction privileges (& by now they should be) then the deadline is irrelevant.
By gopropilot
Thanks for your help.

So basically I am going to have to pay the CAA twice? I'm sure I've read somewhere, people having multiple additions to their licence with one fee, anyone have experience of this?

And that's my issue, there are many tug pilots at the club with a whole wealth of experience but without the instruction privileges for towing, although they're instructors in other capacity. Therefore they can only teach me until 8th April AFAIK.
By gopropilot
Finally got FCL PPL licence back, with SEP and TMG on there. Costly £121 and time consuming exercise (tracking down instructors for certified copies) ...

Now another £121 going to CAA for Tow rating which I've now completed and class two med in a few weeks. so far this year approx £500 on fees, membership and medical and I've hardly flown. Fun.