Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Bob Upanddown
No, I wasn't being rude to anyone. I didn't even get that far.

I had reason to phone the CAA today. Called on the new 0330 022 1500 number as none of the old numbers I have seem to work any more.
The new CAA number is immediately answered by a recorded voice welcoming the caller to the CAA and then you wait for the operator.
Except you don't!
After a few minutes waiting, the other end hangs up.

I tried this again with the same result.

Third attempt and I got through. The operator claimed not to know why I was cut off twice but this seems just to be a method of getting rid of calls when they are too busy to answer.

I guess as we get old, younger people will simply get used to being treated in this way.
By romille
Large organisations no longer want phone calls as it's much easier to send generic replies to email enquiries or fob you off with an online chat.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
romille wrote:Large organisations no longer want phone calls as it's much easier to send generic replies to email enquiries or fob you off with an online chat.

Which often surprises me .... having had oversight for an 800 seat call-centre, my conclusion was that voice phone calls were the most efficient way of dealing with 'ad hoc' requests.

Emails invariably have missing information, or ambiguity, and take time to compose - or customers send further follow-up clarifications etc. The only redeeming feature of emails was that they queue more patiently than phone calls.
romille liked this
By Bob Upanddown
romille wrote:Large organisations no longer want phone calls as it's much easier to send generic replies to email enquiries or fob you off with an online chat.

Agreed. But as a regulator that issues warnings about being rude to their staff, the fact that they treat their "customers" with contempt is unacceptable. As they are effectively a monopoly as the regulator, it makes me wonder just how far they can go. Will they become as bad as HMRC where you simply can't get any advice or help on VAT other than what is on the website but they send you to prison if you make a mistake on your VAT return?
flybymike liked this