Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi everyone,

I appreciate this has been talked about to death, but i'm in a situation where I can renew my PPL (A) - after years of not flying -. A flying school I spoke with advised I need to speak to a CFI to see if I can 'just' perform some assessment flights and then do a reduced skills test. My licence details:

SEP (land) Expired July 2007
FCL - Expired August 2015

I also have:
NPPL - Appears valid for my lifetime
Microlight (land) Expired - August 2012
Class 2 medical - Valid - (renewed recently under EASA).

Based on the above info (i've been reading the CAA and EASA blurb), but cannot find a single 'statement' to see what I need to do with regards to the PPL.

Do I need to do all of my flying training from scratch (including re-taking all of the ground exams), OR, would it be a case of some assessment flights, and a reduced skills test before the 8th April 2018 to renew the PPL/SEP (land) in order to get the EASA PPL licence with required SEP rating?

I appreciate your time.
:D
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No need for any from-scratching or ground-examining or worrying about April. I am not sure what you meant by an FCL though, is it your jaa ppl expired at the end of 5 years? .
i suspect the answer will be "Easa class two medical or better, Sufficient retraining at an RF or ATO (a club/school) to be recommended for a Sep class rating proficiency check and pass it, this proficiency check is shorthand for a flight test not too different from a good club checkout plus a single vfr leg, then paperwork for the pass sent to caa with application for an Easa ppl from an expired jaa ppl. But that is my black and white view.