Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi, new joiner here! nice forum.

I've recently finished my PPL course in Spain, at the end of the exam the examiner mentioned i had 2 options:

Either have the Spanish license issued as a Spanish speaker, or do the English proficiency exam to have it issued in English in order to fly in the UK.

I originally was told this license would enable me to fly all across Europe including England so this was a surprise.

I've moved to Europe, UK about 2 years ago to work, I'm originally from Argentina (Spanish speaker). I'm not fully familiar with the regulations here in Europe.

The only reason I've done the PPL in Spain was cost and the Spanish language, but i reside and work in the UK and i plan to fly here.

Since then ive come back to UK and done the TEA exam in FTA, and passed with a 5 (1-6), just waiting for the paperwork.

Its still not clear to me if this would be enough. I have asked FTA to send the paperwork to my flight school in Spain.

Would i also need an R/T license to fly in the UK? meaning ill have to do another exam? I guess the Spanish license has an R/T license with it, but not sure if that is sufficient to fly in the UK.

Would i be able to fly in other country's like France and Germany with this TEA exam?

I was already an ICAO PPL in Argentina, but i could not convalidate so decided to redo the PPL license, i recon i have about 100 hours between both licenses. My plan is to fly in Denham Aerodrome. Looks like the best option from were i live in London and the pricing is good. Ill build some hours there and then probably move to an aircraft share.

thanks for the advice!
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I believe you'll end up with an EASA PPL (issued by Spain) with an embedded RT licence, with Level 5 English language endorsement which has an expiry date 6 years from when you got it.
You can use this to fly in the UK (EASA PPL).
You can talk on the radio in the UK for 6 years before your language needs re-assessed.

Hope that is what you're looking for.