Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By JimbobR
Hi All,

First post on the forum but I've been lurking for a while!

Looking into the various routes into being licensed to fly, and the NPPL (m) is appealing for a number of reasons. Chiefly cost of obtainment and affordability of flying once licensed.

My question though is will it be worth pursuing this avenue with the whole EASA 8th of April 2018 thing coming into play? I'd imagine that I'd be happy with being able to fly microlights in the UK in VMC for some time, but would probably want to explore outside of these limits in the future.

I wouldn't want all the hours and £££ that I'd put into the NPPL (m) (as enjoyable as I'm sure it'll be) to lead to a completely dead end as far as progression goes. So if anyone has any advice on whether it will become a blocked path as where going on to a full PPL etc. is concerned then I'd be grateful for your input.
kanga liked this
By Sooty25
as Irv says, the upgrade path beyond SSEA, as of april is unclear/unknown at this time, but there is going to have to be some credit towards an EASA licence if you hold a NPPL.

It may not be the easy process as it is now, but it would be insane to tell a 500hr+ NPPL holder to go back and be taught to fly straight and level again!

NPPL (m) is the quickest and cheapest route to flying your own plane. At present, you could fly that plane to selected european countries.

To be fair, you could just wait until april and see ss realistically you won't do much training before then anyway!
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:but it would be insane to tell a 500hr+ NPPL holder to go back and be taught to fly straight and level again!

But for 5 years now they have been telling icao ppl-sep holders with hundreds or even 1000s of hours to do full ppl course if the licence is not fully usable in the home country on the day they (might) issue the easa ppl.... and it is pretty obvious from the conversion requirements that it was never envisaged that the conversion could not be from an expired Sep as it includes training for the issue of an Sep rating, not just "couple of exams and test". And why someone with an easa class two medical is told they have to have a current medical from their own country to convert (even if they will never use the old licence again) says a lot about platinum playing too. However, arrive with a foreign cpl and expired rating and it is ok, just school assessment and plan of conversion to caa and then convert... showing again easa should only be involved at cpl level or above, and how anti GA they are.
You could of course go and get a 3 week faa ppl maybe cheaper than an nppl m - you would be welcome to fly easa aircraft for a year longer that uk licences with a bit of tuition on uk practices and a form filled in - then an easy conversion later but you would need 100 hours.
By Sooty25
but someone currently, happily, flying NPPL (M) now with no intention of wanting anything bigger, may in 2-3 years time due to change of circumstances decide he wants to upgrade to a LAPL.

Although I guess he could become the first student to complete the LAPL course in the minimum hours!
By JimbobR
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'd never considered the LAPL before but having looked at it that could actually be a viable starting point too. If April 8th happens then it would seem to give more scope going forward, I think the LAPL also allows access to a greater pool of aircraft to fly and I guess one could add microlights to a LAPL somehow?

I think I'm going to have to go and speak to someone at the training school I'm looking at using, there's so many options! Talking through my aspirations, budget, availability to learn etc. might help clear things up for me... :shock: