Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By 4535jacks
I am about to do my night rating and I have a LAPL medical. I have read that I need to have had my colour vision tested prior to starting the course. I did not have have a colour vision test done during my LAPL medical and I assume that this is because I am serving in the Army and so have to have good colour vision and also the result of my colour vision tests are recorded electronically for the SMO to see during the examination so no need to do them again. Any way my LAPL medical has no limitations such as daytime only but I do not have a separate certificate saying I am not colour blind.

Am I therefore good to start my night rating?

How is colour vision recorded on the LAPL medical?

How is it reported to the CAA as there is no specific box for the GP to tick on the online form?

Is it recorded separately to the main certificate or does an absence of a day time limitation mean that I have been assessed as having sufficient colour vision?
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I know the answer to another question (which to be fair is not the one you asked).

The LAPL colour vision standard is part of this long document.. https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/AMC%20and%20GM%20on%20the%20medical%20certification%20of%20pilots%20and%20medical%20fitness%20of%20cabin%20crew.pdf

and the relevant entry is

AMC15 MED.B.095 Colour vision
Applicants for a night rating should correctly identify 9 of the first 15 plates of the 24-plate
edition of Ishihara pseudoisochromatic plates or should be colour safe.

and you can compare this with the Class 2 standard which requires that all of the first 15 plates are correctly identified (or colour safe by advanced testing).
By A le Ron
When I perform an initial LAPL medical I always test colour vision and add a VCL if appropriate. Further, I routinely assess this in pilots transferring to my practice group.