Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
I hold an EASA PPL and am looking at holidaying and doing some flying in the States, middle of next year.

I’ve done the searching/reading of the various threads/websites on the process and am fairly happy I understand the steps and the amount of time needed to sort out getting the licence sorted, (FAA, CAA, FSDO, etc), but have one question I haven’t seen answered.

If I’m flying PIC, can those hours be logged and counted against the 12 hours needed for my EASA SEP revalidation which would be due in the same year?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes, your log book doesn't have licence details in it only the range of qualifications, my log book contains flights in New Zealand and the USA and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Wonderful... always a nice surprise when it's straightforward...

Second, and hopefully straightforward, question is around the flight review - I know I'd need one initially, do I also need to do one every 2 years if I went back out to the States after or is it covered by the validity of my EASA licence. I've read conflicting comments.
By Dave W
You need to do an FAA Flight Review every two years, which includes a mandatory ground school element, with an FAA instructor. There are some in the UK and Europe.

Flight time with an EASA instructor does not meet the FAA's requirements.

See 14 CFR 61.56 for the regs, and this document from the FAA for a handy guide to the (B)FR itself:

Conducting an Effective Flight Review
By Cookie
Second, and hopefully straightforward, question is around the flight review - I know I'd need one initially, do I also need to do one every 2 years if I went back out to the States after or is it covered by the validity of my EASA licence. I've read conflicting comments.

Yes, you do need a current FAA Flight Review in order to exercise the privileges of a FAA certificate issued in accordance with 14 CFR 61.75. You can find a FAA Chief Counsel response to a similar enquiry here.

Cookie
FAA CFI