Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It is impossible to assess someone's ability to hold a medical certificate based on information provided on a bulletin board but from what you've written I would suggest that you may well be eligible for a medical.

It would require some extra legwork as your AME will need to get information about the various health issues you have experienced.

Best bet is to find a friendly AME near where you are and make contact for a formal assessment.
By Dodo
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Best bet is to find a friendly AME near where you are and make contact for a formal assessment.

Unless you want an initial Class 1 for commercial flying, in which case you will need to do this through an Aeromedical Centre.
By cockney steve
AIUI, you can get certain licences on a "self-declared " medical.
Basically, if you're fit to drive, you're fit to fly.

Acting responsibly and prudently, I'd suggest you do a bit of spadework and present the evidence to your GP. (unless GP is into Aeromedicine or Aviation, they're going to be very wary about putting their name to the unknown )
Highlight the important bits of the pertinent regs and make it easy for the medic to say, "I don't see a problem."

Of course, it all depends on your final objective,- If you are just looking to fly for leisure, a Microlight licence is a much shorter, easier course than the full PPL. It can be either fixed-wing (often indistinguishable from a "full- size" * aircraft ) or a flex-wing ("hang-glider" with a trike-pod with a pusher-engine underneath)
* Microlights are limited to two seats. A lot cheaper to maintain, etc. You can now , also, get a powered hang- glider with a minimal undercarriage, which doesn't even need a licence ur any airworthiness inspection. ,though you'd be very foolish to try teaching yourself!
Powered parachutes(Paramotors) (strap a fan on your back, powered by a strimmer-engine) is another lightly-regulated option.

If the Flex-wing Microlight appeals, there is a "SSDR" (Single-seat, De-regulated) option.

I think you'll find details on the BMAA (British Microlight Aircraft Association)

Moving up to a "full-size" aircraft, (Group A) Yes, you need to have a medical. then the choice is Permit -to - fly aircraft, (LAA) - Light Aircraft Association, Or, the full-fat, highly- regulated (did I say expensive?) :P light aircraft on a full Certificate of Airworthiness.
If you aim to fly commercially, you could still co Microlight- group A- (PPL) -CPL. but, unless you'd be happy to settle for pleasure-flying , get a proper medical first.

Note! I am not a qualified pilot, but have been an enthusiast for many years and studied all the options and the costs involved. This post may well be worth what you paid for it!

Coincidentally, my first partner lost an ovary through Endometriosis It didn't stop her (eventually) going on to bear 3 children :wink: ...I was fortunate to have another wonderful relationship,she developed a small sore which turned out to be malignant. succsessfully excised . Good luck!
Hope this is some help.
PS. welcome to the Forum....most are friendly, helpful and tolerant. I like to think the odd few others can't help it. :lol:
By kanga
cockney steve wrote:..
PS. welcome to the Forum....most are friendly, helpful and tolerant. ..

:thumright:

To which I'd add:

Join the local LAA 'Strut' (see LAA website here

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/

.. with Strut map here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... bed%2F&z=6 )

.. at whose (typically monthly) meetings you'll meet all sorts of people who fly, build and maintain all sorts of little (but not 'microlight') stuff. New people are always welcome on the ground, eg helping host fly-ins, or helping with builds or maintenance just as an extra pair of (unskilled) hands; and often as new passengers. That way you can get a taste for 'basic' flying from small strips before you commit to paying for instruction, whether on microlight, Permit or full Certificate of Airworthiness types.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Again without having access to the medical information from your treating physicians it is impossible to say which, if any, is a 'big' problem.

Yes, recurring symptoms of depression can be a concern but an assessment can only be made with all information to hand.

The information needs to be provided by th candidate/pilot and usually needs to be provided in writing by those who have treated the pilot.

Correspondence between hospitals and GP are commonly used for this and if something is still active or has been recurring matter, reports with address specified questions need to be provided.

I hope that is helpful.