Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Baldrick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have a NPPL running concurrently with my EASA FCL PPL. It’s a sort of an insurance policy in case of medical problems; I’m not getting any younger.

My question is after April next year the NPPL is only valid for flying non EASA aircraft, do hours flown in EASA aircraft count to keep NPPL valid? I don’t have access to non EASA aircraft at the moment.
TIA
Baldrick
By Dave W
It's the Class Rating, not the licence, that you Revalidate by Experience.

Therefore so long as the EASA aircraft type(s) you are flying meet the criteria for both the Class Rating on the EASA PPL (e.g. SEP) and the Class Rating on the NPPL (e.g. SSEA) then that's OK. SEP and SSEA are pretty much the same, for example.

You must also meet the Revalidation criteria for both licence/Class Rating combinations: Note that the Revalidation criteria are different in detail for [EASA PPL + SEP] and [UK NPPL+SSEA] (or TMG / SLMG).

By Irv Lee
At one place I visited the revalidators hadn't noticed the sub clause about "at least 6 hours in the final 12 months" for nppl ratings' revalidation. Seems like evidence of why rules should be made by a tired pilot smoking a pipe and sitting in a cracked leather armchair with horse hair poking out in different places (chair arms, his nostrils, etc) rather than by a committee.
By Snoopyeagle
I have a UK PPLA and a EASA PPLA and I fly a CTSW Microlight and An Auster on a PFA permit, I know and can use the Microlight hours for my UK PPL A Rating and not for my EASA PPL Rating but can I use the hours on the Auster for both licences even though the Auster isn’t a EASA aircraft .
By Cookie
My question is after April next year the NPPL is only valid for flying non EASA aircraft, do hours flown in EASA aircraft count to keep NPPL valid?

Yes, hours flown in an EASA aircraft will count towards NPPL SSEA class rating revalidation by experience providing the aeroplane is within the SSEA class. It is EASA regulation which will prevent use of the NPPL in an EASA aircraft after 08th April 2018, not national legislation.

Cookie