Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Examiner? Check the link below to see if you have been missed out of CAA publicly available examiner lists.
I was quite surprised the other day when someone contacted me asking why I had given up examining. I haven't, neither flying nor radio. Asking why he thought I had, he pointed me at this:
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/ ... -examiner/
I looked down the lists, and no sign of me. So I looked up an examiner whom I want to use myself soon - not there in any list... so I wrote asking "given up.... ?" Answer: NO! Then I looked for another I have worked with recently... name missing!
Speaking to the caa examiner department, from the answers I got, they don't seem to "get" why this would be very annoying to anyone missed out, or that it can mean loss of income. If I understood correctly, these lists have existed for around a year and were updated in October, but as well as the caa not understand why the missing examiners would be annoyed, they feel that examiners who are not on the lists and don't know of the lists' existence ought to let the caa know that are missing from them... :roll:
I tried "how can this happen?" a couple of times but answers didn't seem to completely match the questions... surely it must be easy to interrogate their databases for all examiners and produce lists?
I don't actually mind not having any lists at all, I don't mind having complete lists, but I certainly do not like the idea of partial lists (when I am missing). I have paid a quite a bit of money for my current qualifications, and I know (for example) that I was on the old style radio examiner list as I would get the odd email from India to reassure me that I was (other radio examiners should know what I mean). How can they come up with such inaccurate lists that I, and the first two people that I search for, are missing and shouldn't be?
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Allan Armadale
Yes the other you found is the old radio one much used on the Indian subcontinent. The new incomplete ones come top of the hits with a Google of "CAA examiners". I am not convinced giving out CAA reference numbers is a great idea either, it can't be of any use to anyone honest.