Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By MikeW
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm going to renew my SEP rating on my UK CAA licence - it's been expired a few years. The retraining and proficiency check will be done in a 152 (a plane I have never flown before) - a tricycle.
I did my PPL on a Beagle Pup and IMC and night on a Warrior - both tricycle.
In my logbook I have some 400 hrs of tailwheel experience (Jodels and Kitfox) but of course I never had formal tailwheel differences training, it didn't exist.
Do I retain Grandfather rights on tailwheel or as my rating has expired, will I have to do the differences training? Anyone know please?

I'm thinking of getting an SD-1 Minisport tailwheel SSDR microlight. I have about 60 hours on the tailwheel Kitfox Mk 2 that I built ca 1990. At the time that was group A but later on it could have been a microlight, quite a few of them were reclassified thus when the 450kg rule came in. It met the stall speed requirement and MTOW was 430kg. Have I any chance of that counting as Grandfather 3 axis microlight rights?

If I have to do the microlight differences training, what does it include and how long does it take? I can't find any details anywhere. I guess it's about the things that caused lots of Kitfox grief in those days - energy management, gust sensitivity and so on. (I was helped in those areas by gliding experience, especially K8.)

The only place locally I could do the micro diff training would use a tricycle C42. I've flown one of those (not keen!) and I don't think it would have much in common with the SD-1, probably less than the Kitfox.

Thanks for advice!
By Paul_Sengupta
MikeW wrote:Have I any chance of that counting as Grandfather 3 axis microlight rights?

I don't know the answer to this question but I would suspect that this wouldn't count.

MikeW wrote:If I have to do the microlight differences training, what does it include and how long does it take?

There is no prescribed length of time or content to differences training I don't believe. It may be a case of someone looking at your previous experience and signing you off there and then without even having to fly. It may of course be wise to get a little bit of training in something lighter to get back into the swing of things.
kanga liked this
By Cookie
Do I retain Grandfather rights on tailwheel or as my rating has expired, will I have to do the differences training?

Differences on SEP does not expire, so you will retain tailwheel differences from your previous experience, although you would be well advised to grab an instructor if you're not current.

I'm thinking of getting an SD-1 Minisport tailwheel SSDR microlight. I have about 60 hours on the tailwheel Kitfox Mk 2 that I built ca 1990. At the time that was group A but later on it could have been a microlight, quite a few of them were reclassified thus when the 450kg rule came in. It met the stall speed requirement and MTOW was 430kg. Have I any chance of that counting as Grandfather 3 axis microlight rights?

No, you don't have microlight differences since the aircraft you flew prior to the introduction of the requirement was not classified as a microlight.

There is no prescribed length of time or content to differences training I don't believe. It may be a case of someone looking at your previous experience and signing you off there and then without even having to fly.

Microlight differences training requires you to fly with an instructor. Note the specific wording which is used in the regulations: differences training requires the acquisition of additional knowledge and training on an appropriate training device or the aircraft; familiarisation training does not .

You would need to complete microlight differences training as required with an instructor, and upon completion obtain a certifying signature in your logbook for microlight differences.

Cookie
By MikeW
Summarising my earlier posts, my SEP rating on a UK CAA PPL has expired. I intend to renew it and also do microlight differences training.
It would suit me to do the microlight differences training first followed by the SEP renewal.
Would this be legitimate or does the SEP have to be current first?
I don't think the micro diff training needs any solo time does it?
Thanks.