Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have the paper UK PPL and Paper EASA PPL.

Every year my examiner happily signs off the IR revalidation on both and every other year signs off the IMCr and biennial review on both.

I forget about the one month 'creep' on IMCR to keep it tidy.

Not really sure why I keep up the UK PPL: prolly for old times sake as its the last link to the poo-brown :wink:

Peter
By Irv Lee
The most recent person I flew with just before his SEP expiry was only legal as I'd insisted on signing his old sep/ppl nearly two years ago. He had been flying a 172 on lapl medical with an easa PPL-sep for most of the year thinking medical downgrade to lapl = licence downgrade.
By flybymike
Which is exactly as things should be. Having to give up a full EASA PPPL for an LAPL in order to use an LAPL medical is crazy, when LAPL privileges could easily be embedded within a full PPL. Particularly so in view of the hoops and expense needed to get a full PPL back if you subsequently decide to revert back to class 2.
Irv Lee liked this
By Irv Lee
Yes it is exactly what should be, but unfortunately we have EASA. The change to make it as it should be (which anyone who knew anything about hobby single engine flying would have had in the rules from the start) has been in the pipeline for months/years, but, as it doesn't affect any one involved in moving it down the pipeline to any important extent, we are waiting til 2018 to see if the people at the banquet decide to throw some crumbs our way.
By Paul_Sengupta
Before I read Irv's reply, I was going to say that the alphabet organisations had been negotiating this one for some time and that they're near a breakthough, so expect an announcement late next year.

They say fools never differ...
So....
I currently hold EASA PPL and UK CAA PPL licences but currently fly a non-EASA aircraft. My Class 2 medical will be due in April and I am considering downgrading to a LAPL licence/medical however I am concerned re the previous comments in case I might in the future wish to reverse the situation to full EASA PPL privileges.
So until there is some clarification on using a LAPL medical with an EASA licence is there anything stopping me letting the EASA Class 2 medical expire and just fly UK only(on the CAA PPL) with a Med Dec and then in the future obtain a LAPL medical if/when the mud clears on using it with my EASA licence.
The answer makes perfect sense to me but can someone tell me if I am missing something here? :?
Please explain?

My assumption as explained is that all I would need is the approppriate medical. i.e. a LAPL to use with the EASA PPL if /when it is sorted instead of dropping to a LAPL licence that would need hours/training to reverse.
By flybymike
Sorry, I meant if you wished to continue using a UK PPL with a med dec after next April for EASA aircraft.

(On the assumption that the LAPL privileges being embedded within a full EASA PPL are not resolved by then. And I’ll eat my hat if they are :wink: )