Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me. I'm currently hour building after gaining my PPL. I aim to get my CPL ME/IR within the next couple of years. It occurred to me that gaining my IR(R) in the club C172 might be useful for hour building, given our notoriously poor weather here in the UK.

Will the 15 hour IR(R) in a SEP count towards a ME/IR in the future?
I have just had exactly this discussion with a ex-PPL student of mine and she came to the conclusion that she would rather spend her money on 15 x P1 hours built rather than 15 x Pu/t hours that would result from training for an IR(R). I agreed to assist in hours building by accompanying her on flights and we explored the whole PPL minima as a mentor (strictly speaking a passenger) which worked very well and meant the hours could be logged as P1.

Not saying this is right for you but maybe worth considering.
I can't understand why any pilot would not do an IMC rating and then a CBIR. As there is every likelihood doing a CBIR will save them money over the traditional IR route.

Of course if your one of the many pilots doingva an IR at certain Nordic/east European schools then I would very much suggest you do an IMC as you wont do any IMC flying or even have to wear foggles for any part of the training or even the skills test
Andrew Sinclair, AndyR liked this
Bathman wrote:I can't understand why any pilot would not do an IMC rating and then a CBIR. As there is every likelihood doing a CBIR will save them money over the traditional IR route.

I couldn't agree more and when I suggested this the reply was something along the lines of that she was told by her CPL/ME/IR training provider that it doesn't look as good on the CV when up against Oxford/CTS alumni. I can't imagine why they would say that :roll:

I am not close enough to agree/disagree but my ex-PPL student was convinced and it's her money.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There is no doubt that the route IR(R ) CB/IR is a fine one to get an IR, there is also no doubt that this route may not be the best to get you lined up for an airline job.

The airlines want folks who are trained and will fit in their mould, come from one of the larger providers and will consistently recruit from those who are in the pools provided by those training organisations.