Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@allout but are they flagged as such in GINFO or do you have to know that mention of EASA plus motor glider = TMG?
By allout
Ah, I see what you mean Irv (& oldbiggincfi).
I'm deeply involved with this stuff, yet find the question of what is, or is not, a TMG a swamp.

Picture yourself as a Eurocrat, turn to Regulation(EU) 1178/2011 'The Aircrew Regulation' and within Annex 1, Subpart A, FCL.010 Definitions, is a clear definition.

Picture, instead, standing on an airfield somewhere looking at a machine you are not sure about.
Indeed, lift the bonnet of a Falke or Grob 109 and you will find a single piston engine.

And things can change: the Stemme 10 now may, or may not, be a TMG.
Much of the UK Falke fleet should soon be moving from EASA to the much sought after Annex II.

A swamp.
By low&slow
If it has a fixed, non-retractable engine and propeller it is a TMG. Whether it is an EASA aircraft or not depends on whether it qualifies under Annexe II (soon to be Annexe I), and Annexe II makes no mention of permit to fly aircraft. When EASA published a list of Annexe II powered sailplanes there were no Fournier aircraft on it, Fourniers are factory built aircraft, although you can probably get away with flying a permit Fournier in this country on an NPPL for years as we all seem to equate permit with non-EASA.

The Slingsby built T61 Ventures qualify for Annexe II as ex military aircraft (!!), a Scheibe built SF25B does not.

The Stemme S10 is not a TMG, it is a self launch sailplane. You cannot fly one using an EASA (A) or (S) licence with a TMG rating/privileges, you must have an (S) licence with a self launch endorsement.

The only advantage to having a TMG rating/privileges on an (A) licence over TMG privileges on an (S) licence is the ability to use TMG hours to revalidate an SEP rating/privileges. If you only do a few SEP hours but lots of TMG hours it would be worth doing the TMG renewal flight, if you do lots of SEP flights you don't need the TMG hours.
By low&slow
Irv Lee wrote: It does look like the gliding community might get a postponement of EASAcution and stay on death row for another couple of years after April to see if a reprieve or pardon arrives

The CAA seem to think the delay is already there . . .
Irv Lee liked this
By allout
Dave W wrote:
low&slow wrote:... Annexe II (soon to be Annexe I)

Oh, God - is that idiocy still going to happen?......... :roll:

Afraid so (routine review & update of the Basic Regulation, that is).
Behind the scenes has been an extended, passionate, debate on the details of exactly what is, or is not, included in Annex II (Annex I) ...

... which means excluded from EASA. Other linguistic delights have included 'the Maltese Compromise' and 'trilogue' (which, in the exquisite logic of these things, has come to be a four sided debate)