Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
How about if someone wanted to add a SSEA rating to their NPPL(microlight or SLMG) after April 2018?

I take it I would be able to go to my local flying school do all the training and pass the test on a Cessna 152? And then not be able to fly that very aircraft once the rating has been issued?
Arclite01 wrote:It's a motor glider so not sure if that counts as glider or Motor in the EASA world anymore !! :D

Arclite

Depends on the engine & propeller. If the whole lot fold away & retract you have a self launch sailplane which is flown under glider rules. Nothing official yet but a separate Part-Gliding is being thrashed out to replace the gliding bits of Part-FCL, expect a further delay to mandatory EASA rules until 2020 or 2021.

If the engine & propeller are fixed & non-retractable you have a touring motor glider (TMG) which, in EASA's world, can be flown under either a sailplane licence or an aeroplane licence. Rumour has it that the BGA are trying to get TMGs included in the gliding rules extension, ie national rules continue to apply until 2020/21.

An email to the BGA office is likely to get forwarded to someone who knows more. In the meantime, the European Gliding Union or Europe Air Sports have some info in their newsletters.