Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By sspencer1248
Hi, I'm from London however I lived in California for 2 years and returned early this year with the hopes of returning promptly, however some issues have arose since which I'm currently in the process of resolving before I head back. I see myself here till January/February which by then will clock a year of no flying. I was wondering whether someone like myself who possesses both FAA PPL and IR is able to remain IFR current during my stay in UK. I went to my local aerodrome 'Stapleford' and the school told me they had no N-reg aircraft in their fleet, I did see one or two N-reg aircrafts on the ramp however they looked disused. I've probably checked every single N-reg aircraft in UK on the FAA Database however where pretty much all the N-registered aircraft's owners from UK have to have a trust agreement in order to register their aircraft I've found it almost impossible to get direct contact with the owners as they all are down as owned by 'Southern Aircraft Consultancy'. Now I'm hoping I can bump into someone on here whom can help me. I've flown the 172 N,S,R,RG. Thanks
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As a FAA certificate holder, other than obtaining an EASA licence, you could use either of the following two options.

The first option will allow use of G-registered aeroplanes but limit use to UK airspace only:

Declaration

1) You can make a declaration on CAA form SRG2140 to exercise your licence privileges in a G-registered aircraft within UK airspace. Your flying club should be able to assist with meeting the associated requirements. There is no CAA charge for this service when you submit the form. See CAA Information Notice IN-2017/029 for more information.

The UK CAA have, for whatever reason, decided not to recognise the FAA Class Three medical as ICAO compliant, so have included a Day VFR only restriction in para 3.2 of the Information Notice. At present, you would have to get a FAA Class Two medical to fly IFR using this declaration.

Or, to exercise your licence privileges in EASA member state registered aircraft or N-reg in the UK and other EASA member states:

Validation

2) Apply for a validation certificate under Annex III to the Aircrew Regulation. For non-commercial operations, you should complete and submit CAA form SRG2139. More information is available in CAA Information Notice IN-2017/021. There is a CAA fee associated with this.

Alternatively, you could of course, go flying with an instructor.

Cookie
Andrew Sinclair liked this