Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By mistral1
Hi
I believe that there is currently an upgrade path from a NPPL(M) to EASA PPL(A) which consists of extra training to obtain a NPPL (SSEP) then a paperwork exercise to gain a LAPPL Then further training to get a EASA PPL(A)
However I believe the conversion mechanism from NPPL (SSEP) to LAPPL expires in April 2018. Does anyone know what happens after that date? Does the NPPL effectively become a dead-end for anyone wanting to fly EASA aircraft? Or will some of the experience be creditable
Cheers
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am trying to find out what organisations are doing. The current bridging is the current answer to many problems, if the bridge goes, there will be a number of really stupid situations.
If the April 2018 date happens as expected, do you realise an faa pilot flying G registered EASA aircraft is allowed to continue in UK airspace with very little hassle for a year to April 2019 at least, whilst UK licence holders wanting to fly the same aircraft in UK airspace are grounded
By flybymike
The whole thing is mad.

We run the risk of losing a vast swathe of the UKPPL/NPPL community who cannot hold a class 2 medical.

Even the price of annex2 stuff like RVs is going through the roof for those willing to contemplate moving away from EASA aircraft.
Thanks for the reply
The reason I am asking is that I am advising someone who wants to learn to fly and with an excellent microlight school 10 minutes away that has good availability this may be a good way for him to go. Having started with a PPL(A) but now spending most of my time fling 3 axis microlights I think it gives best bang for you buck as you are building experience. However it is hard to recommend this route, if it may become a dead end, as he has thought of adding additional ratings (IR(R)) in the future
By Cookie
Adding a SSEA class rating to a NPPL(A) with Microlight class rating is a fairly simple process described in CAP 804 Section 5 Part A Appendix 1 and on the NPPL website via the licence allowances link at paragraph 2.1.2.

Following issue of the NPPL(A) with SSEA class rating, your pilot can then apply to the UK CAA for an EASA LAPL(A) via paperwork process only, or train directly towards the PPL(A) without the need to obtain a LAPL(A). More details can be found in CAP 804 Section 4 Part P, page 12 et seq.

As things currently stand, in order to obtain an EASA LAPL(A) or PPL(A) via this method, your student must hold a NPPL(A) with SSEA class rating prior to 08th April 2018.

Cookie
Cookie wrote:
As things currently stand, in order to obtain an EASA LAPL(A) or PPL(A) via this method, your student must hold a NPPL(A) with SSEA class rating prior to 08th April 2018.

Cookie

so the process of converting from NPPL (A) to LAPL(A) can occur after the 8th April 18, as long as the NPPL (A) was obtained prior to that date?

sorry for butting in!
Great post mistral1!
I am currently completing nppl m. Weather has really delayed progress last couple of months. I am solo but have all the nav syllabus to do, also saw the route to ease aircraft through lapl. Hopefully complete before the April deadline however want to know what happens if I don't! It's only 6 months away :shock:

B1
By Irv Lee
Clearly we need the sort of Paul Daniels effect from EASA that only The Great Goudou was capable of.... so perhaps we should suggest that EASA declare that there will be an 'EASA virtual April 7th 2018' that is deemed to have 8760 hours in it for this part of FCL, which would take us through another year by which we will be out of the EU (but probably not EASA) and nationally we can invent 'virtual aircraft' - i.e. one physical C172 can be 2 virtual aircraft - one of them would be an EASA aircraft, but also have a 2nd virtual presence where it is not an EASA aircraft. So people with EASA licences fly the EASA aircraft and go abroad if they want, whereas national licence holders can fly the other aircraft that occupies the same physical space whilst it is in national airspace.
By Irv Lee
It would have two CofAs and Arcs, same registration, one marked EASA, one national of course, issued together, no need for two maintenance visits. Sounds like the sort of idea EU bureaucrats get awards for. I won't hold my breath.