Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By MercianMarcus
A friend of mine has passed all his TK exams but business got in the way and we didn't complete the flying - for a LAPL. He'd also taken quite a time to get to that point - started in late 2014 and took the final TK exam in Jun 2016.

He'asked his school, and they don't know the answer to the question: when does the 24 months start?

Validity of passed theoretical knowledge exams

If you successfully pass the theoretical exams for the issue of a light aircraft pilot licence they will be valid for 24 months, within which time you must complete the skill test, otherwise they will lapse and you’ll have to retake them.

If he has 24 months form the date of the last exam, that's fine, but if each exam has its own 24 month validity, some will have run out and he'll need to redo.

I read the CAA quote as it being 24 months form the point they are all complete, but as you have to put the dates on the form, and it would be very bad news to have the application rejected, I'm looking for a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance.

MM
By Hmmnnn
18 Months to complete the Theoretical Exams
Once completed (so from date of last exam), valid for 24 Months for licence issue.

FCL.025 Theoretical knowledge examinations for the issue of licences
(b) Pass standards
(2) Unless otherwise determined in this Part, an applicant has successfully completed the required theoretical knowledge examination for the appropriate pilot licence or rating when he/she has passed all the required examination papers within a period of 18 months counted from the end of the calendar month when the applicant first attempted an examination.

(c) Validity period
(1) The successful completion of the theoretical knowledge examinations will be valid:
(i) for the issue of a light aircraft pilot licence, a private pilot licence, a sailplane pilot licence or a balloon pilot licence, for a period of 24 months;

Given that they have to state all training complete, ready for licence issue, prior to test; it is a little concerning that the flying school did not know (or know where to look up) the answer.