Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi ,
I am a UK national
My previous experience as follows :
ICAO Licence from Non EU (Expired Last year , but can be made current if I travel back and do my medical and fly couple of hours )
More than 2000 Flying hours [ Mily Hours : 1200 and Non Mily : 900 hrs} . Breakdown of hours : More than 1000 hrs (Multi Eng )
: About 1000 hrs as Instructor ( 500 Mily + 500 Non Mily)
Now I am registered with one of the Flying Club in the UK and cleared all ATPL ground subjects through them.
I intend to do my Instructor course , what path should I follow to become instructor and start instructing in the UK.
In this context can someone,specifically, guide me on the following :
What would I need to do to start my instructional course in The UK ?
Do I need to renew my Non EU(ICAO )CPL from the previous country ? or
Should I get my PPL in the UK and on that basis start my Instructional course ?
What Exemptions in terms of Flying Hours as well as Academics could I aspire /expect and how to go about it.
OR any other suggestions please ...........
Parvez
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As you have an expired-in-some-way ICAO CPL, you are the person EASA is shows a little sympathy for, and gives you a way forwards, rather than the expired-in-some-way PPL holder, to which the EASA attitude is hold up two fingers and refuse to discuss it. You probably have a choice in them being interested or telling you to take a hike depending on whether you want an EASA CPL or PPL.
You can either go and get your ICAO CPL current, (and then chose CPL or PPL from a fully operational licence), or if you go in for CPL level, your ATO can do an assessment to convert you from not-valid -CPL to EASA CPL, which they are not allowed to do for PPL. It might be worth getting the EASA CPL rather than a PPL as there are instructor shortages here and in the pipeline, and of course, only CPL can teach CPL. Valid CPL conversion will require all ground exams plus approx five hours (usually) plus flight test. Valid icao i/r if you had one can probably benefit from the CBM route for conversion, others will advise on requirements.