Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi

I wondered if anyone could definitely answer the following question. Following days of research of ANO and other documents I cannot find an answer in black and white.

I have the opportunity to fly a friends Europa XS (Permit aircraft) in taildragger configuration. I currently have PPL A and would like to grab a rating to fly the available aircraft with permission from the owner.

Using a CFI from my local airfield, can this be accomplished legally if I don't own the aircraft, but use the Europa to get the rating.

I did find wording in a consultation breifing that with the ANO update April 2017 this would be possible , however there has been no update to support this from the CAA in April 2017.

I cant find that definitive answer and wondered if anyone can point me to a document or wording that will answer the question.

Thank you
Craig
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As Carl says; it's differences training not a Rating, which when completed is signed up in your logbook by the FI or CRI that trained you.

For the recommended content of the training, see CAP804 Part I, Section 4, Part H, Sub-Part 1.

If you* and the instructor are insured for the aircraft, and the aircraft is insured for training, you're good to go.

There's no rule that says differences training can't be carried out on your or somebody else's aircraft, which is why you won't find an explicit statement one way or the other. (It's different for Ratings, where you generally need to have training under the auspices of an approved organisation; I expect an FI or Examiner may be along in a minute with chapter & verse).

*Actually, it's the instructor that's important - they'll be PIC.