Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hello! I got my PPL when I was living in the UK in 2009. I now live in Canada and have a valid Canadian pilot's license based on my UK license. In order to renew my Canadian license next year I need to renew my UK PPL which expired in 2014. I've emailed the CAA and i'm waiting for instructions but thought I would ask here if anyone has any information. Thank you!
By Smaragd
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You will no doubt get an answer shortly from those able to provide advice on renewing your UK PPL, but I would query whether, if you don't have a current UK PPL, your Canadian licence is valid if it is on the basis of your UK PPL!
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Your UK ppl was a JAA PPL so will have expired as a licence in 2014, the rating within will have expired in 2011, 2013 or 2015 I suppose. You might find that just going and asking the Canadians what you would need to do from where you are now to get a full Canadian PPL is easier than what the CAA will want to get you a new PPL here, I would find that out first in case it is simple. Even just getting something as apparently simple as 'english proficiency' sign off (needed for the new PPL issue from the UK CAA) seems to be restricted to organisations and individuals based in the UK.
I have just spent three years working in Canada part-time. In order to do some local flying I obtained my Canadian PPL on the back of my EASA PPL. There is an alternative validation procedure if you're only wanting to fly for less than 6 or 12 months.

Like you, I thought the Canadian licence depended on the EASA licence just like my FAA 61.75 but when I spoke with Transport Canada they were very clear that it is different. Once issued the Canadian licence is completely standalone and separate from the EASA licence. This should make your situation a bit simpler.