Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Earl Grey
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Has anyone used this very recently? I am planning to go down tomorrow but can't get there sensibly before 10.30 am. I want to get my old UK PPL upgraded to an EASA licence, with SEP rating and RT added. Assuming all my paperwork is correct is there a realistic chance of me walking away with this done before closing time? I plan to take a packed lunch and a good book.......

EG
By Earl Grey
Irv Lee wrote:I don't know what happens if you turn up at 10.30 as everyone who thinks of doing so gets persuaded to turn up at 8.30 or before

Hence my question Irv...but I guess once I'm there I'm there!

EG
By Irv Lee
I don't understand this business of being forced to convert if you do anything - even like change address. It effectively makes it sixty odd or seventy odd pounds to register change of address when maybe you don't need an EASA licence.
By rf3flyer
Slight thread drift re. licences.

I think it absurd the number of different private pilots licences around, and I'm not talking about ratings.
OK, I get that some are more restrictive in what can be flown and in compensation are medically more permissive, NPPL, LAPL for example but a full, ICAO compliant PPL MUST be converted to an EASA PPL in order to fly what EASA choses to categorise an EASA type aircraft? I'd have thought that the ICAO compliant, globally recognised one, would trump the relatively parochial EASA licence without question.
A subset of this train of thought is that I see no reason why a national licence like the NPPL will soon not be valid to fly what EASA choses to categorise an EASA type within the borders of the licensing country.
flybymike liked this
Irv Lee wrote:I don't understand this business of being forced to convert if you do anything - even like change address. It effectively makes it sixty odd or seventy odd pounds to register change of address when maybe you don't need an EASA licence.

I wish I'd never migrated :( I gained nothing and it cost me money. Then more money to add an aerobatics rating.

Re the counter service ... I went down last year to get a heli rating got there before they opened. I was 3rd in the queue. I left about 9:30 - 10:00 and by then it was absolutely rammed with people - at least 20 I'd estimate.
By T67M
Caveat: all that follows is based on my limited personal experience. Fortunately I live within walking distance of the Belgrano, so it's easy for me to "pop round".

There are a limited number of "pickup slots" each day for documents which can be done same day but which need "backroom" checks, such as license issue or rating addition. These slots all tend to be taken by 1030, however "instant" tasks, such as accepting the FAA61.75 paperwork and payment can be done simple by queuing for one of the desk staff. The queue in the early morning can be over an hour, but by lunchtime it is often almost instant service - they are often only dealing with people returning for their pickup slot.
By Earl Grey
OK back on thread. I drove down this morning and got there at 7.30. The security guard pointed me at a touch screen into which I entered my name, car reg and reason for being there. He then printed a paper security badge with name and reference number which dangled round your neck and which operated the turnstiles into the building atrium. Loos and coffee etc were available (phew!).

While I waited I took advantage of their free wifi. At 8.30 on the dot my reference number (101) appeared on the screen and a pleasant lady took me to a desk to check my pile of forms. This took about 2 mins. I waited a further few mins while she went to check the fees and get her card machine. About 15 mins later she came back with my two new licences (UK and EASA) fully endorsed and ready to go. I left the building at 9.15 and was home for lunch.

It was difficult to tell how many other might have been waiting as there were a whole lot of folk there to take a 9.00 am exam but it can't have been many. I have to say the whole process was highly efficient and completely painless...aside from the long drive and large fee! Maybe I was lucky.... :D

EG
T67M liked this