Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By francoisvl
Hi there - I have an NPPL(M) and have recently started a job which means I will be spending up to 4 months of the year in South Africa for the next five years. I have learned that my NPPL cannot be used in South Africa. I was then thinking of upgrading by the existing route to an NPPL(SSEA) to EASA LAPL - but not clear if that would be valid for flying in South Africa?

A slightly different tack would be to just do a new PPL in South Africa as the training rates are reasonable... and I believe that can be converted to a UK licence when I'm done? It would mean taking some breaks from training as I go, although I intend to continue flying during those times on my NPPL(M) in the UK (3 axis).

It has always been my intention to move up to SSEA on my NPPL anyway, but would now like to do this in the most sensible and flexible way.

Anyone with experience or any advice on the most sensible route to being able to fly in South Africa while I'm there would be gratefully appreciated. I have had some feedback from formites in emails, which I am already very grateful for.

Regards
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The lapl isn't valid in S.A. either. I think first step is to find the national microlight body and see what credit they will give for a UK microlight qualification to get an S.A. microlight licence. If you get a S.A. ppl then EASA want 100 hours on it to convert
francoisvl liked this
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ps if money and time is limited, I would give priority to getting your ssea here this year, if you get it after April 7th next year, as things stand, it won't be convertible to a lapl.
francoisvl liked this