Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By 4535jacks
What do SSDR Flight Hours count as? Microlight? Gp A?

Will they count towards a CPL?

I am part tempted to buy one just for some fun evening flying but I since my eventual goal is to get an ATPL, I am concerned that the hours won't count towards a CPL like my 90 3-Axis microlight hours.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would imagine, that, SSDR, being a very light "microlight" It would be classified as a microlight....Why not get a Gp.A Permit machine?...Depending on how good you are, " on the tools" maintenance, Annual and parts can be a draction of the costs od a C od A machine.....and, AIUI, there's nothing to stop group -ownership, thus refucing your costs further.
I'm not a pilot, so I know bu66er-all about the subject,but maybe this will prompt a reply from someone better-qualified. ;-)
By 4535jacks
cockney steve wrote:I would imagine, that, SSDR, being a very light "microlight" It would be classified as a microlight....Why not get a Gp.A Permit machine?...Depending on how good you are, " on the tools" maintenance, Annual and parts can be a draction of the costs od a C od A machine.....and, AIUI, there's nothing to stop group -ownership, thus refucing your costs further.
I'm not a pilot, so I know bu66er-all about the subject,but maybe this will prompt a reply from someone better-qualified. ;-)

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I have owned a Gp A permit aircraft for the past 5 years but have sold up to fund a house purchase. Now I am left with a very small budget for a share or to buy a small single seater. Unfortunately the likes of the monoplane, turbi and D9 are out of my budget but the minimax is not. However my concern over a minimax is that the hours won't count towards a CPL in the future (like 90hrs I have on a Murphy Maverick!). However I have been told that microlight hours don't count due to the BMAA's desire to avoid EASA regulation but since SSDR machine are. It regulated at the BMAA, do hours flown on them have the same restriction?
By cockney steve
@4535Sjacks. As an ancient and impoverished wannabe, I share your pain.
I would do a bit of research within a reasonable area, for a share in a Permit aircraft.

A friend had ~a 10% share in an Aeronca Chief. He did all the maintenance and most of the flying....a third (temporary) shareholder learned to fly on it. a very cheap way of passing the PPL......no electrics, Armstrong starting, Icom handheld radio...eventually we had the luxury of a Gel-battery powered intercom. Great fun! We were very fortunate , as, I believe, the bills were proportionate to the shareholding. Avgas, at that time, was a good bit cheaper than road fuel. Multiple-ownership certainly keeps the costs down and can work well if you can get time to fly weekdays when others are working and leave the weekends free for the other shareholders. Me and mate were both self employed and our jollies together were usually spur-of the moment. Hope you can find something.
By Cookie
What do SSDR Flight Hours count as? Microlight? Gp A?

If you're not sure of the classification of an aircraft, have a look on G-INFO or the aircraft's Permit to Fly. As a general rule, SSDR will be classified as microlights.

Will they count towards a CPL?

Experience gained in microlights will not count towards the experience requirements of EASA licences, ratings, and certificates, with the exception of the future proposal in NPA 2014-29(A) to allow microlight three-axis experience towards meeting the class rating revalidation experience requirements for the SEP class rating.

Get a Cri-Cri and notch up some MEP hours .. :)

You might want to read ORS4 No. 1185 which relates to an exemption for the Colomban Cri-Cri :wink:

Experience accumulated whilst flying the Cri-Cri shall be treated as having been accrued in a single- engine aeroplane for licensing purposes.

Cookie
By nickwilcock
Unfortunately in Opinion05-2017 the luddites at EASA haven't accepted the proposal to allow 3-axis microlight / ultralight flight time to be counted towards SEP Class Rating revalidation for Part-FCL licences:

After consultation with the EASA experts, the decision taken was to remove the text amendment in FCL.035(a)(2) proposed with NPA 2014-29 because with this amendment the requirements of the Basic Regulation would have been altered. If deemed necessary this should be done in the Basic Regulation itself rather than in its implementing rules. EASA has prepared an AMC and proposed it with NPA 2014-29(B) and this AMC will be published after the adoption of the amendments to the Aircrew Regulation as GM.

:?:
By Grelly
What about a single seat aircraft that doesn't qualify as a SSDR? Such as a turbulent (correct me if I'm wrong).
By Irv Lee
FD - Reading the Ano (assuming annex 2 here) you need differences training for a tricycle if you have only flown tailwheel if nppl.
Ps. PLEASE don't flatter EASA people calling them Luddites. The Luddites worked hard and produced something worthwhile once.
Flyin'Dutch', townleyc liked this