Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Welcome to the forums!

Check for what?

New type? Lay off for some time? Tailwheel or other differences?

Any instructor, including CRI, and you could do worse than picking an LAA coach, especially if your aeroplane is on an LAA permit.

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/PCS/pcs.html

No doubt some will say that if you have the required licence and experience you don't need a 'check pilot' or that indeed anyone willing to occupy the second seat will do but that may not be what you were after.

There is a difference between legal requirements and common sense...

:D
boswell bear wrote:Yes I was meaning who can check you out on a new type you haven't flown before.

Why are you having a check out?

Insurance company requirement - then its up to them
Group requirement - then it up to the group rules
You want a check out but you have a valid licence etc - You choose
You need an extra like "taildragger" endorsement - you need an instructor
seanjd wrote:Well I had a 40 minute flight with a friend who was familiar on type, before I went off on my own for a 3 hour trip home.

:thumleft:

I had a 30 min flight with the old owner when I bought my first RV.
I think some people over think things.

But I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from taking the time they need to feel OK.
seanjd liked this
boswell bear wrote:So in a nutshell you can legally fly/get checked by any pilot who has experience on type for whatever amount of time you need to feel comfortable on that aircraft?

If you have a licence to fly that aircraft then yes that is correct.

I flew a cirrus for the first time yesterday. No check out, no safety pilot. And its 5 years or so since I flew a nose dragger. I do not suggest anyone follows the example, but I was confident I would be OK with a verbal brief. BTW the plane is still usable. :-)
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You do have to meet the insurance requirements. Certain things require formal differences training (such as moving for the first time to a glass panel or a single power lever or a wobbly prop or tail wheel) but if formal difference training isn't required, and insurance company says yes, and owner (group) says yes, its however you feel comfortable but do make very sure who is PIC for the flight.