Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi all

Been away for a while due to ill health but now ready to get back up in the air again. So whilst I'm recovering from a major operation I thought I'd sort out one or two licensing issues such as my FROL.

It was first issued on 16/09/2004 so at that time the CAA were giving them out with a 10 year validity. Looking recently at the CAA website it states that all I need do is reapply again paying the relevant fee.

Does anyone know if I use the online form or the reissue form, have any recent experience of this ?

I'm a bit confused as I also found another part of the site stated that if it has expired (by less than 10 years) you had to resist the written exam.

Can you help.

Thanks

Paul
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Is this to go along with a pilot's licence or a stand alone thing?

If the former, is your licence still valid? If it's a JAA licence it should have a 5 year validity? The radio thing comes along with licence renewal. If you're applying for an EASA licence, your radio licence is now included within it. Assuming you have a current English language rating of 4 or higher. (4 was automatic, but only lasted for 4 years IIRC, 6 lasts a lifetime).
Hi Paul

At the time I obtained the FROL in 2004 I had a JAA PPL (a) which also had a 10 year validity date. However in 2011 I obtained the NPPL(A) which is a licence I now hold for life.

So in 2011 should the CAA also have made my radio license non expiry ?
By Cookie
In 2011 the FRTOLs were still being issued with 10 year validity. Since the introduction of EASA Part-FCL, all flight crew licences are lifetime licences. If you re-apply now, you will be issued with a lifetime FRTOL to go with your lifetime licence. Since you hold a flight crew licence, renewal of your FRTOL is one of the very few things that the CAA do free of charge.

CAA form SRG1106 - just get your local CFI to sign box 5 with a certified copy of your latest logbook page, or if I'm local give me a call!

CAA Scheme of Charges - Personnel Licensing - see paragraph 3.5, Table 4 and Note 2 below it.

You may also need to complete a Language Proficiency Endorsement if you don't have a current one. The form required for that is SRG1199. More information here.

No examinations required.

ATB Cookie
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By Cookie
So Starchild has to apply for a new NPPL? Confused...

No, he just needs to apply for a new Flight Radio Telephony Operator's Licence (FRTOL) using CAA form SRG1106. His NPPL is valid for life, but his FRTOL was valid for 10 years because that's how the CAA used to do it prior to the introduction of EASA Part-FCL. New and renewed FRTOLs issued after September 2012 will be valid for life (or...until the next change in licensing regime!).

Can I ask why they need to see my last page of my log book ? What has that got to do with being able to use a radio ?

I think the intent is to show that you are in current practice using the R/T.

Cookie
By Cookie
That'll be fine, but do make sure it's a certified copy. Please also ensure you comply with guidance note 2 on SRG1106:

Please submit the following with your application:

• A certified copy of your valid Passport, EEA/EU National Identity card or full EU photographic Driving Licence (see Guidance Note 1).

Cookie
By Cookie
If you click the link in my post above it'll take you to the CAA webpage about who can certify, which says:

Who can certify your documents

When you send us copies of documents as part of an application for a pilot licence, they can be certified by one of the following authorised people:

* the Head of training at your approved training organisation
* the holder of the registration at a registered training facility, or
* a UK-approved Examiner

Your CFI is probably both the holder of the registration at a Registered Facility and a UK-approved examiner, so yes they will be able to sign it.

Cookie