Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
I haven't heard any. Last time there were rumours for ages and the deed was done with very little time left. Does the collapse of the prospective USA-EU trade deal last year mean they will not consider moving the date???
So, if there is no movement, from April 8th this year (2017), no flying EASA aircraft (permit or certified) using only FAA, SA, NZ etc PPLs (ie: proper EASA validation or extra licence needed in about 10 weeks from now).
Do the people who do that, or the people who rent to them, know that? (The few I have heard discussing it haven't noticed it is this year, not 2018)
If we shoot the messenger when it sounds like the possibility of better news, what are we supposed to do to the messenger when it is bad news?
T67M liked this
Something wrong Shirley??

I have just received an email from AOPA which says..

Private Flights in "N" Registered EASA Aircraft beyond April 2017

In response to a query raised by Nick Wilcock, the DfT has confirmed that the UK will be extending the derogation for private flights in ‘N-reg’ EASA aircraft within UK airspace (without the pilot needing to hold an FAA Airmen Certificate) beyond 8th April 2017. Currently we are waiting to hear whether the UK will be adopting the full 2 year recommendation of EASA and the European Commission.

Surely that should read without an EASA licence? Or am I missing another piece of regulation?
Yes - bug.ger! That should have read "The DfT has confirmed that the UK will be extending the derogation for private flights in ‘N-reg’ EASA aircraft within UK airspace (without the pilot needing to hold anything more than an FAA Airmen Certificate) beyond 8th April 2017. Currently we are waiting to hear whether the UK will be adopting the full 2 year recommendation of EASA and the European Commission.”

Sorry - cut, paste and cock-up!
.. and, analogously, for any other non-EASA but ICAO PPLs flying a type registered in the non-EASA but ICAO state of issue of their PPLs, I'd hope; or do US PPLs/aircraft have special privilege ? I realise that most non-EASA GA types permanently based in EASA-land in general and UK in particular are likely to be N-reg, but presumably others are possible ..
I read in the July Flyer Magazine that the publisher has been informed by the CAA that pilots holding valid EASA licences and medical must send a completed SRG 2140 if they fly FAA N reg aircraft to be legal, by DofT regulations in UK.. Even if they hold valid FAA licence!!
Gold Plating of the worst kind.
CAA already have all the details of my ID etc. on file with BFR tests, medical records, and personal attendance at Gatwick for recent issue of EASA PPL. All checked by CAA person at the time.
Perhaps l will wait for a CAA Ramp Check, and let them sort out this regulatory cock up.
Last edited by Oldfart on Sun May 21, 2017 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.