Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hello all.

I do hope someone can help me.

I am 55 and am about to retire and I really want to get back in the air and start flying again. I got my ppl when I was 17 but had to give up when I was about 27 to raise my family and realise my life priorities.

I have still gone up and flown with friends but not as P1. I have been back to my original airfield where I first got my licence and have been up a couple of times since ....

What do I have to do to get converted to EASA and is there a deadline to do it by.

Thank you

Simon
Your in a great position as you will have a valid for life UK PPL which I would very much suggest you keep. All you need to do is go to a local flying school, training as required and test. No CAA involvement or fee or 6 week wait to get the license back from them.

At some point you may want to move to an EASA license but the date you have to do has moved back a couple of times and many feel it will move back again in the future. However its simply a paper exercise to get an EASA PPL.

Medical wise you can self declare which is free See CAP1441 and SRG1210

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... il&id=7533

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... il&id=7493

Now somebody remind me what EASA has done for us?
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bathman wrote:Now somebody remind me what EASA has done for us?

Amongst others:

*Done away with 120+ AANs which were mandatory if you wanted a CAA CofA including the 'starter warner light'
*Introduced the CB IR
*Introduced the LAPL Medical and LAPL licence which are easier to obtain and maintain than the PPL and its associated medical
By Irv Lee
It would be interesting to know if the OP would get the same advice (which I think is "don't get an EASA licence until you have to") if he wandered into the nearest flying school. Or, as he knows the term EASA, maybe he has.
(Amongst many other things, EASA has taught me how to spell "pyrrhic")
Thank you all so much one and all. It's great to know that the help is out there

I am very interested to know that my Licence is a "for life" one. I will admit it was such a thrill to get up there again. I think my RT is a bit rusty as things such as "basic services" weren't about then I stopped flying ... Now stop laughing hee hee it happens to us all at some point :D :D

Also interesting about the self declaration in the medical too. I'll make sure I check those out too.

I will certainly so armed to the flying school next time I go ..... God when is this weather going to break ..... IMC next I think .... Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks

Thanks again all .... All good advice welcome

Happy flying

Simon
Ha ha promise you it wasn't me even though I will be flying in that direction as my daughter and grandkids are near there.... There are loads of MATZ around there aren't there.

I do remember flying through the upper heyford radar zone years ago on my first solo cross country and decided not to call them up as I was listening to some USAF trainee Air Traffic controller direct a fellow student everywhere then said "you're clear of our ATZ please contact Luton on 13....... G'day" I knew he was lost as hell .... Thank god for GPS and Sky Demon
mick w liked this
Hi there,

I have just done exactly what you want to do, stopped for the same reasons and now back in after 18 years!

Suggest you get medical done first to ensure thats ok.

Then you need to do "refresher training" with an ATO to get up to standard and take a License Proficiency Check (LPC) which is basically a full skills test inc mini nav. Then you can apply for a new EASA license with the SEP rating on it, and they will give you a new CAA one too.

Good luck!

cheers.
Paul
Simon C liked this
By Irv Lee
buckleyp wrote: a full skills test inc mini nav.

It isn't full, it is page 2 of http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG ... nabled.pdf but without sections 3.b and 6.
Then you can apply for a new EASA license with the SEP rating on it, and they will give you a new CAA one too.

This depends on what you want to do.... I wouldn't leap into EASA licences automatically now until you understand a bit more about it. You might have to jump over in April 2018 to fly what you want to fly, but that date might move. If you eventually get an EASA licence you will need a proper medical, three figure sum, until then you can renew and still have plenty of uk fun flying on a self declare medical (free)
All advice is greatly received ... Thank you all very much

What I think I'll do is get a self declaration and go for a CAA renewal and then in 2018 when I have hours under my belt it may be time to take the plunge and go EASA and then buy my own plane....

Does anyone know if there is a free online site to get back up to speed on the theory stuff.

Again thanks for all your positive feedback it really is appreciated

Simon