Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By WTSMG
Last edited by WTSMG on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Since SEP training will have been conducted as part of your ab-initio training, you will now need to attend an ATO to obtain a course completion certificate for the SEP rating (if you don't have one already). This includes training at the discretion of the ATO, so will depend on how current you are on light aircraft. Given the information you have provided you should budget for one or two sorties.

The flight test will be a SEP Class Rating Skill Test conducted in accordance with Standards Document 14(A) for addition of a class rating, with a summary of the items on page two of CAA examiner report form SRG1157 sections 1, 2, 3A, 4 and 5. Should be a flight time of about an hour or so.

It is my understanding that an SEP rating can be renewed by 12 PIC hrs in 1 year, MEP must be renewed by prof check. Is this correct?

Note that the regulations use specific words to describe the administrative process and testing required: revalidation may be completed where the rating is current, and renewal where the rating has expired.

Once you have a current SEP class rating, it is then valid for two years, which can then be revalidated by experience or by proficiency check. The MEP class rating is valid for one year and may only be revalidated by proficiency check. Where either the SEP or MEP class ratings expire, they must be renewed by proficiency check.

Cookie
By Irv Lee
Quick safety tip. Revalidation by experience on Sep. You are allowed to use your annual test in mep to dispense with an instructor flight in Sep. Sounds good, unless you are rubbish at forced landings. So if using that, make sure you practice forced landings yourself and if not working out well, volunteer for some training.
I flew with a pilot with his own Sep and recently retired from airlines so did not have test to claim, had not been with an Sep instructor for decades yet legal by claiming airline tests and very active flying Sep in spare time. Really an eye opener when it came to things like pfls, good job he hadn't had a problem in his years of Sep.
By WTSMG
Hi Irv

It's unlikely I will continue to fly MEP due to the cost so no more hamstring-squeezing EFATO's for me!

I note the re-validation by experience system has a caveat where 1 hour is required with an instructor. There is an exemption from this if you complete any skills test/proficiency check in any type of aircraft during that 365 day period. I will be doing prof. checks twice a year but in a sim, not a real aircraft, so not sure if I could claim exemption on that basis.

In either case I'd still spring for the 1 hour training flight as, like you say, quite a prudent idea to have SEP EFATO/PFL competencies tested properly every so often.

Cheers.
By Irv Lee
Yes you can claim it as an exemption assuming it is the usual type/ir deal, that is what the guy whom I mentioned had been doing for years and not realising he was Sep rusty on things like pfls.
Also, there is a small growing realisation that Sep pilots are more at risk from pefato (p being partial). They usually realise when the engine has completely failed if there is only one, the biggr danger is the insidious "not actually failed just after take off, still making a big noise, but not the power it should"
By WTSMG
Won't be doing that, completely different flying. I am surprised the CAA allows that actually.

I better get into the 172 AFM then and re-learn those T&P ranges!
By Paul_Sengupta
WTSMG wrote:I better get into the 172 AFM then and re-learn those T&P ranges!

Don't they put a little bit of green paint on them to help you? :D

I probably have 2-300 hours in 172s and I have no idea what the actual figures are... ;-)
By PortAndCheese
Irv,

The OP mentions they'll be doing prof. checks twice a year in a sim. It was my understanding that the SEP hour with instructor could be replaced by a check or test in another type or class of aeroplane, but the option to use an airline sim check for SEP recalidation was no longer valid.

NB I'm quite possibly reading the rules badly, or missed an amendment somewhere...
By Irv Lee
I cannot look it up at this moment, but I suspect the phrasing is about passing a skills test or proficiency check for an aeroplane class or type rating, so the question will be "was it?" rather than "how", and note the caa extended it to other proficiency checks too that are not class or type.
By Cookie
Irv is correct - the phrasing in FCL.740.A is:

refresher training of at least 1 hour with a flight instructor (FI) or a class rating instructor (CRI). Applicants shall be exempted from this flight if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check or skill test in any other class or type of aeroplane

However, the UK AMC expands that to also include:

(b) Pass in an aeroplane, a skill test or proficiency check for any class, type, instrument or mountain rating or an assessment of competence for any Flight Instructor, Class Rating Instructor or Instrument Rating Instructor certificate included in the applicant’s aeroplane pilot licence.

See CAP 804 Section 4 Part H Subpart 1 page 8 (for reference only). Note that this does not include LOEs or LOFTs which some airlines now place inbetween an annual LPC/OPC, so it must be the Type Rating Proficiency Check used in lieu of the one hour with an instructor towards class rating revalidation of SEP or TMG class ratings.

Cookie
By Irv Lee
You can see how there are two different readings of "740" though, slack use of "in" rather than "for",