Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By SteveX
Is there any reason to keep a UK PPL after this date? Any benefit at all? I have EASA and medical but what would be achieved by going self medical on a UK PPL, it cannot be used on EASA aircraft right?
By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Something might happen that could deprive you of your class 2 medical, but still able to self declare - then you could possibly fly Annexe 2 aircraft.

Worth thinking about if you love flying

KE
By Smaragd
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The UK PPL is ICAO-compliant. I have a US Airman's Certificate linked to my UK PPL. I have a LAPL - it's not ICAO-compliant. If I tear up the UK PPL I would have to get an EASA PPL and then go through the hassle of getting a US Airman's Certificate linked to it.

It's non-expiring, it doesn't cost anything; keep it. Flybymike is right. I have 4.
Smaragd wrote:The UK PPL is ICAO-compliant. I have a US Airman's Certificate linked to my UK PPL. I have a LAPL - it's not ICAO-compliant. If I tear up the UK PPL I would have to get an EASA PPL and then go through the hassle of getting a US Airman's Certificate linked to it.

It's non-expiring, it doesn't cost anything; keep it. Flybymike is right. I have 4.

So if the old UK CAA PPL is currently ICAO do we know yet if it will still be ICAO complient after April 2018 and therefore able to be used for international PPL conversion...FAA etc ?

Currently I have a Class 2 EASA PPL in addition to the above but was considering, due to age, dropping the Class 2 and getting a LAPL instead. Problem is I still have desires to fly in the US or NZ.
I'd keep it, because it allows you to fly all sorts of interesting kitbuilts and homebuilts and microlights, much more interesting than most EASA CofA aircraft..... and to continue doing so, as others have said, even if something unexpected happens to your EASA medical....

(And having lost my full medical at 50 due to diabetes, I can vouch for the "unexpected" bit.....)