Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I already have a LAPL fixed wing and now am training for the helicopter LAPL.

Does anyone know which exams are needed? Obviously I'm hoping I don't have to repeat them all!
You don't. :D

Strangely you do have to to do nav, even though it is exactly the same as the A version. I did the PPL (this year) rather than LAPL but I 'm pretty sure the exams are the same. Off the top of my head:

Nav
Operational Procedures
Aircraft Technical
Principles of Flight
Performance & Planning

Unlike the A subjects the supporting material is not so straightforward. What I mean by that is that there is not a book per subject. I studied Wagtendonk, but there are alternatives.

Principles of flight is fascinating but you need to forget some of the stuff you learnt in A school. :)

Good luck.

MM
By carlmeek
Brilliant, thanks for confirmation. I've also now found information on the CAA LAPL section that confirms it. It is very odd that you have to do NAV!

I'm finding principles of flight tough going at the moment. Several magnitudes harder than fixed wing!
Practical nav is different - great fun getting down to the os maps and navigating to actual properties! So I guess there is some logic (all be it flawed) to including the theory exam.

Yes, the H principles of flight is a far broader subject than the A. Are you using Wagtendonk or the Norman Bailey books?
By Cookie
Appendix 1 to Part-FCL which is reproduced in CAP 804 Section 4 Part L Appendix 1 states:

Appendix 1 to Part-FCL Crediting of theoretical knowledge

1 LAPL, PPL, BPL and SPL

1.1 For the issue of an LAPL, the holder of an LAPL in another category of aircraft shall
be fully credited with theoretical knowledge on the common subjects established in
FCL.120(a).

1.2 Without prejudice to the paragraph above, for the issue of an LAPL, PPL, BPL or SPL,
the holder of a licence in another category of aircraft shall receive theoretical knowledge instruction and pass theoretical knowledge examinations to the appropriate level in the following subjects:

– Principles of Flight
– Operational Procedures
– Flight Performance and Planning
– Aircraft General Knowledge
– Navigation

FCL.120(a) states that the common subjects which you don't have to retake are:

FCL.120

(a) common subjects:
— Air law,
— Human performance,
— Meteorology, and
— Communications;