Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
I plan to convert my LAPL to a full blown PPL but also want to complete a night rating and an IR(R). But do I have to do these courses separately or can I combine them into one/two courses? For example can my night flying lessons and supervised night flying solos be counted towards the 10 hours required to convert my licence and can my night cross-country flight be used as my PPL cross-country flight?

Also when training at night can I count any of the hours towards an IR(R)?

Equally can any daytime IR(R) lessons be credited towards the LAPL to PPL conversion?

Should I forget the IR(R) and instead do an EIR? Will I get a BIFM qual from either of these courses?

The gold plated solution would be for my 5 hours of night training to count towards both the PPL conversion and the IR(R) and then I can count another 5 hours of the IR(R) course towards the licence conversion meaning that it would only take me 15 hours plus a skills test to complete the PPL, Night Rating and IR(R)!

What is normally included in the 10-hour training package required for the LAPL to PPL conversion?

Jacks
GeorgeJLA liked this
I don't want to sound like I am trying to cheat the system and I realise that the courses are there for a reason. I am not high hours with only 200hours under my belt but feel that I have been learning during that period and continue to do so (for example flying to France primarily using navaids instead of gps this w/e) and so feel that I could better use the mandatory 10 hours for LAPL to PPL conversion and learn something new and useful whilst saving a bit of wonga.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As you're not getting much back, I haven't time to look up the actual detail this moment due to trying to meet some deadlines, but first thoughts are:
I seem to recall you cannot start hours counting to the IMC training before you have a PPL, so presumably IR(R) the same.
I seem to recall under JAR you could do the night rating as part of the 45 hour PPL - you couldn't at the very start, then someone in the CAA spotted that 45 hours were needed to aplply for a PPL, but all the mandatory stuff only added up to 35, leaving 10 that could be interpretted as being available for the night rating - so it should depend on the wording of the regulation or the AMC for the LAPL-PPL upgrade as to what can be done in the upgrade.
Enroute I/R? Cheapest way to get one is to buy one of these https://www.firebox.com/Chocolate-Teapot/p7499?mkt=en - I understand there is an easy conversion to an EASA E-IR ;-)