Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By RM1982
First post folks so be gentle. Have tried finding the answer on the forum, but can't find it anywhere.

Am a current UK airline pilot and in my spare time do some SEP flying in the UK and the USA. I am now in my second year of the rating being valid and I wondered whether any of you knew whether the hours flown in the USA count towards the compulsory 12 hour experience requirement to revalidate the SEP rating and if they do count, do you know where I can find the reference?

I have also done some research on the part of the CAA website that mentions, "a training flight of at least 1 hour (or a maximum of three totalling 1 hour) with the same flight instructor or class rating instructor. If you have already completed a proficiency check or skill test in another type or class of aeroplane, you will not have to complete this training flight." My understanding is that an airline LPC rating does now count towards this and therefore the training flight is no longer needed. Is this still the case?

Thanks for any help and information you can provide.

Regards,

Ross.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes you are fine with foreign flown hours but normally the hour with instructor has to be with an EASA instructor so that would not count with an faa-only instructor, but you can count a work proficiency check (assuming EASA for that), so as long as you have one of those, you just need the 12 hours plus 12 take offs and landings Sep, all in final 12 months, plus the rating sign off from a UK flight examiner before expiry (you cannot use a 945 or foreign examiner) again assuming you have a UK issued licence.
By Cookie
My understanding is that an airline LPC rating does now count towards this and therefore the training flight is no longer needed. Is this still the case?

Note that a LOE, LOFT, or line check do not count towards this requirement since they are not a Skill Test, Proficiency Check, or Assessment of Competence as required under FCL.740.A.

Cookie
By RM1982
Cookie wrote:
My understanding is that an airline LPC rating does now count towards this and therefore the training flight is no longer needed. Is this still the case?

Note that a LOE, LOFT, or line check do not count towards this requirement since they are not a Skill Test, Proficiency Check, or Assessment of Competence as required under FCL.740.A.

Cookie

Thanks for the info. What about an LPC check?
By Irv Lee
That is now just called a proficiency check so yes, you can use what was called an LPC to remove the need for the training hour in the 12 by experience
By pembroke
A quote from Stds. Doc. 14v6, Part 6, Para 6.4:
"As indicated at 6.2 above, the training flight may be replaced by any other class or type rating proficiency check or skill test, in any other class or type of aeroplane"
By Irv Lee
My memory tells me that the UK extend it to things like fi reval or renewal flights, not just class or type tests or checks.
By Cookie
That's correct Irv which is why I mentioned Assessment of Competence above as applied to issue, revalidation or renewal of a FI, CRI, or IRI. It's in CAP 804 Section 4 Part H Subpart 1 page 8, para 4.1.2.

Cookie
By youngman1
I meet all of the requirements for the SEP renewal by experience.

What exactly do i have to do now? send off the licence? Fill out a form?

much appreciated,
By skydriller
Irv Lee wrote:Yes you are fine with foreign flown hours but normally the hour with instructor has to be with an EASA instructor so that would not count with an faa-only instructor, but you can count a work proficiency check (assuming EASA for that)......... ......plus the rating sign off from a UK flight examiner before expiry (you cannot use a 945 or foreign examiner) again assuming you have a UK issued licence.

Just to confirm, when you say foreign, you mean non-EASA, right? Any EASA examiner from any country can sign off an EASA PPL? (Be it UK issued or wherever). Just like any EASA instruction hour counts?

Regards, SD..
By Irv Lee
The nstructor needs to have an EASA instructor certificate from any EASA state and needs to be legal to be p1 in the aircraft. The former is easier to check than the latter at the time, and neither is really checkable later.
For "by experience" it must be a UK appointed flight examiner or 945-er who flew with you who signs the rating section with the new date, not just an EASA one.