Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By pembroke
A query from a former student who wants to convert his (full) FAA PPL to an EASA PPL but doesn't have the 100hrs flight time to take the process forward. (He's 27hrs short and would find it a large expense to bridge the gap). One possibility is to apply for an NPPL and follow the route to LAPL. I've had a good look at the NPPL site and can't find the above as a conversion . Any help or steer gratefully received!
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's a fairly simple process. The licence holder must apply to the LAA for an individual assessment which is provided by a NPPL Adviser. We normally turn these assessments around in a couple of days.

The NPPL Adviser will review the licence holder's experience, and provide a list of the requirements the individual must meet for issue of a NPPL with SSEA class rating. This is described in the cross-crediting agreement on the NPPL website and in CAP 804 Part II Section 5 Part A Appendix 1, paragraph 2.3:

Non-UK licences

a) The holder of any licence issued by an ICAO Contracting State who wishes to obtain an NPPL(A) with SSEA Class Rating should contact the NPPL(A) (SSEA) assistance advisers for advice on the specific requirements for licence conversion. These requirements will be determined by the holder’s current experience and will be assessed individually. The applicant shall also pass the Part-FCL PPL(A) Air Law and Operational Procedures and Human Performance examinations prior to passing the NPPL NST and GST in an SSEA. However, holders of such licences which are current and valid in all respects who have own a minimum of 100 hours as pilot of aeroplanes shall be credited the NPPL(A) NST if they have also own a minimum of 5 hours PIC cross-country flight time in UK airspace in the 12 months prior to the date of licence application.

Once the pilot hold a UK NPPL(A) with SSEA class rating, they may apply to the UK CAA via the agreed conversion process for issue of a EASA LAPL(A) with SEP class rating in accordance with CAP 804 Section 4 Part P page12 (or for issue of a EASA PPL(A) with SEP class rating iaw page 13).

Cookie
By Irv Lee
What are his chances of getting very near to the hundred hours* by April 2018 if he had an nppl-ssea? What I am really questioning is whilst it would be a good idea to get an nppl to see him beyond the current cut off of April 2017 for his FAA ppl, is it a good idea to get a lapl straight away, when he might be able to get the full ppl by having close to the hundred by April 2018? (He is in the lucky situation of being able to keep his FAA ppl valid reasonably easily in the uk, unlike other nationalities.) Getting the hours on nppl then converting the FAA ppl would save an upgrade course lapl to ppl if he wanted one. Or if he is into brinkmanship, he could bet on the April 2017 end date for his FAA ppl use here extending another year, in which case he wouldn't need an nppl at all if he could get near to 100 by April 2018 on that. If he lost the bet on dates moving for his FAA ppl, he could still get an nppl in April 2017.
*(I say "near to 100" because he would want a bit of a practice test for the full ppl anyway, and presumably he would have done a small number of hours to get his nppl, for example, flight tests ).
By Irv Lee
It was extended at the last minute in April 2016 to April 217, which didn't help any uk based FAA ppl's (financial) planning, but welcomed by brink-men and brink-women (plus would be welcomed by the ones who never knew what was happening).
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Inf ... 016041.pdf
Good afternoon all,

Thank you very much for the replies and extra information - I am the former student in question.

As to current position and experience - I have a total of 76:57 hours (including 28 solo/PIC) logged, although it's now my understanding that 9:25 of them cannot count as they were obtained before age 14. My FAA PPL currency is good until 5th April 2017 and medical is good until April 2018. I also completed all 9 EASA PPL ground examinations earlier this year, the last one being in May. At present I'm at NATS on their ab-initio ATCO training programme, destined to be an area controller but whether at Swanwick or Prestwick not known for another few months. As a result, I do not anticipate being able to fly for more than an hour every 4-6 weeks at best.

Of late, I've been working with the intention of gaining my EASA PPL 'from scratch' as it were, as it's my understanding that hours obtained thus far can be credited. However, in addition to the skill test, it seems that I would need to 'complete an approved course of training' to the regulatory satisfaction of the flight school in question, with no real idea how many hours that might entail.

Based on my understanding of the above, to obtain an NPPL (SSEA) and assuming a favourable consideration of my existing experience, I would simply have to complete the NST and GST. As it also seems to me that since I (would then) meet all the conditions for the NPPL>LAPL conversion as detailed in CAP 804, a LAPL could then be issued with no extra work.

Looking at Part-FCL 210 & 235, which CAP 804 indicates are necessary to comply with in order to convert to a full PPL, it still seems that a course of training must be completed, in addition to the PPL Skill Test.

Assuming my understanding is correct at all points, would the NPPL>LAPL>PPL route actually not save me time/flying/administration over the 'new' PPL route?

Apologies for the big wall of text, I hope it's all reasonably clear!
By Irv Lee
Unless there is some reason why an nppl-SSEA is not acceptable, in your shoes, I would aim to get one in 1q17, and not do anything else licence wise( except perhaps an FAA bfr to keep that valid ) until 1q18, and see how the land lies then. If, before you start the nppl SSEA conversion, they move the foreign licence end date to 2018, delay the nppl SSEA until nearer that date.