Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Yeah, but Cookie you were quoting about the CB IR. I was talking about a full IR course, then mentioned that another route would be the CB IR where an IR(R) obtained anywhere would count.

I had the question mark after it as I wasn't sure. If you're doing the non CB IR, does, as I assumed/read on the forum (so it must be true!), the IR(R) have to be taught by IR approved instructors for the hours to count?

Or is there no such thing as a full IR course any more and they're all rolled into one?
Jonay liked this
In terms of modular training for the IR, options are:

1) IR(A) — Modular flying training course; or
2) IR(A) — Competency-based modular flying training course.

For the CB modular IR, you can credit 15 hours flight training from your IMC/IR(R) training towards the required hours. For the non-CB modular IR, then you only get credit if it's flown as a Basic Instrument Flight Module (BIFM) in accordance with an approved course and associated CAA approval, which has a number of common elements which might also be credited towards the flight training required for IMC/IR(R). To conduct training on the BIFM the instructor must hold the privilege to instruct for the IR. An example of how this might be used:

http://www.aeros.co.uk/training-overvie ... astrack-2/

Both options above lead to a full IR upon completion of (exactly the same) IR Skill Test.

The other difference is the theoretical knowledge. Where the IR is completed as competency-based, it will have the annotation CB entered in Section XII to show that you haven't done the HPA theory which would otherwise be required to have been completed if you'd done the (non-competency-based) modular IR.

Cookie
Jonay, Andrew Sinclair liked this
Cookie wrote:In terms of modular training for the IR, options are:

1) IR(A) — Modular flying training course; or
2) IR(A) — Competency-based modular flying training course.

For the CB modular IR, you can credit 15 hours flight training from your IMC/IR(R) training towards the required hours. For the non-CB modular IR, then you only get credit if it's flown as a Basic Instrument Flight Module (BIFM) in accordance with an approved course and associated CAA approval, which has a number of common elements which might also be credited towards the flight training required for IMC/IR(R). To conduct training on the BIFM the instructor must hold the privilege to instruct for the IR. An example of how this might be used:

http://www.aeros.co.uk/training-overvie ... astrack-2/

Both options above lead to a full IR upon completion of (exactly the same) IR Skill Test.

The other difference is the theoretical knowledge. Where the IR is completed as competency-based, it will have the annotation CB entered in Section XII to show that you haven't done the HPA theory which would otherwise be required to have been completed if you'd done the (non-competency-based) modular IR.

Cookie

Thanks for this and your last post.

HPA is High Performance Aircraft correct?
Cookie wrote:The other difference is the theoretical knowledge. Where the IR is completed as competency-based, it will have the annotation CB entered in Section XII to show that you haven't done the HPA theory which would otherwise be required to have been completed if you'd done the (non-competency-based) modular IR.

Cookie

This is sometimes annotated incorrectly, I have seen two licences in the last week from pilots who followed the exact same CB-IR training route one has CB in Section XII and one not. It isn’t the most complicated piece of legislation to understand but seems to provide a great deal of angst within the licensing team.