Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Oldfart
I am just about to convert to an EASA PPL, as JAR expires shortly. I will use the CAA Gatwick counter service as I'm told it takes many weeks for postal applications.
I will have all my licences logbooks with me, therefore I presume an ATO person certification of ID/docs/experience not required, as CAA can check originals at the time.
By Oldfart
Hi Irv
Just telephoned FCL Gatwick. Prompt reply, and a gentleman confirmed if I have the originals with me then of course no certified copies required. He even worked out the fees, £72.00 includes the National Lic issue.
By Oldfart
Well done to the CAA counter service at Gatwick today!
Contrary to many reports, great service. New EASA PPL, National PPL issued, and change of licence no. docs processed for FAA CPL/IR 61.75.
All done in less than an hour and a half.
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
One of my syndicate members doesn't have the luxury of being able to get to Gatwick and has been chasing his. He's been told they're taking over two months to process. Given he sent his away in August, he's been told today that he's unlikely to get it until mid-October... :(
By romille
I have just phoned the CAA to be told that the application time is 40+ working days to process the conversion, bearing in mind a few weeks ago the recorded message on the licencing help line was stating 20 to 25 days. I recon we should let DVLA take over the Job, I recently applied for a photo card licence which took 7 workings days from them receiving the application to the licence popping through my door. :shock:
By DavidC
docs processed for FAA CPL/IR 61.75

Erm, the 61.75 is only valid for PPL not CPL.
See FAR 61.75

You must have remembered to take along a utility bill to prove your address. I overlooked that on my visit and had to arrange to print one out onsite. That's only needed for the FAA validation, not for the EASA licence upgrade itself.

The CAA guidance on the process is quite helpful.
By DarrenL
My JAR PPL expires in January. Looks like I will be visiting the Belgrano for the first time!

Can anyone clarify which forms I need to complete and what I need to take with me please? Can you make an appointment or do you just turn up and take a ticket like at the passport office?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
By DarrenL
Oldfart wrote:Hi Irv
Just telephoned FCL Gatwick. Prompt reply, and a gentleman confirmed if I have the originals with me then of course no certified copies required. He even worked out the fees, £72.00 includes the National Lic issue.

Irv Lee wrote:"Bargain" (I thought the national was an extra thirty odd quid)

Hi both,

I'm sat at Gatwick at the moment converting my licence and thought I'd pass on what I'd learned about the above.

If you have (had) a non-expiring UK licence, then the National Annex II Licence issue is free of charge, so you just pay the £72.00 for the EASA licence.

If you have a 5 year expiring UK issued JAR-FCL, then you have to pay the extra £35.00 - so I'm £107.00 lighter today :)
By Plan_B
In the CAA guidance, they have this :

What to include with your form

You will need to attach the following documentation to your completed form:

- proof of identity: a certified copy of one of the following:
passport
EU photographic driving licence
EU identity card
- a certified copy of your current licence’s Certificate of Tests page
- a certified copy of your current licence’s Certificate of Revalidation page
- a copy of your current medical certificate
- proof of your language proficiency

Could someone enlighten me as to what a "current licence’s Certificate of Tests page" is ? I'm fairly sure my JAR PPL doesn't have one.
By PeteSpencer
Can anyone remind me if a UKPPxxxxxxE/A PPL first issued in July 2006 is of the non expiring variety or does it need to be converted to EASA to retain full European flight privileges in a Piper Arrow.
Are there any 'conversion cut-off dates' looming?

(Not me: but need to check)

TIA
By Irv Lee
Any uk-issued ppl first gained in 2006 would be a jaa ppl, and would have expired in 2011 if not renewed. If renewed in 2011, it would still have been a jaa one, which would have expired in 2016, which would have produced an EASA ppl if re-processed then. If it is still 2011- expired, you can get a renewal on the Sep rating and get an EASA ppl issued from the caa.
PeteSpencer liked this