Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
I am a FI(A) Restricted and I am working under supervision at an ATO providing PPL instruction. However I have been asked by members of my ownership group if I can do biennials for members and 'convert' new members onto the aircraft including tailwheel training.

Our aircraft is kept at a small farm strip and so any training would be away from an ATO and away from the supervision of an unrestricted FI.

I have read Part-FCL which states that while Restricted. I have to be supervised to provide training for:

(1) for the issue of the PPL, SPL, BPL and LAPL;

(2) in all integrated courses at PPL level, in case of aeroplanes and helicopters;

(3) for class and type ratings for single-pilot, single-engine aircraft, except for single-pilot high performance complex aeroplanes, class and group extensions in the case of balloons and class extensions in the case of sailplanes;

(4) for the night, towing or aerobatic ratings.

It also highlights I cannot send students on their first solo or first solo corss country flight.

This mentions nothing about providing biennial training flights to allow revalidation by experience or providing differences training such as a new aircraft within a class the student has the privileges to fly as P1 or tailwheel difference training.

Therefore, I am assuming that I can provide biennials and differences training unsupervised and away from an ATO as a FI(A) Restricted. However , whether the biennial is considered as training for a class rating and therefore requiring supervision is open to interpretation!

Does anyone with a greater knowledge of the policy than I disagree with my interpretation?

Regards,

Jacks
Last edited by 4535jacks on Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I believe you are OK to provide such things as Differences Training and refresher training as an FI(A) Restricted, so long as you don't have the 'LAPL only' restriction too that is applied to PPL/FI holders.

To revalidate an SEP you can provide the 'one hour with an instructor' (or broken into as many short flights as you like). To then sign up the licence revalidation boxes and complete the CAA form (was SRG1119E, they got a new on line one now) you need the 'FCL 945' authorisation on your FI.

Isn't a shame that things that should be clear and simple, aren't.
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It’s not clear whether you have the LAPL only restriction in addition to the 100hr (etc) one.

With that, you can provide the one hour flight with an instructor that is required within the previous 24 months by LAPL holders. You need FCL.945 privileges to sign off revalidation of a UK PPL.