Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By jakem
Hi all,

Has anyone successfully converted a relatively new licence f(ATPL) from the UK to EASA? I'm sure someone out there has already been through this process, so thought I would give it a shot asking on this forum.

I've ended up with a UK licence after training and as I have the right to live/work in Europe I am contemplating converting this over to EASA. However the amount of additional training required, considering I just completed it, to get it converted over to EASA seems to be rather extreme (looking at c.15hrs CPL and 15hrs IR), and pricey! Is this the case with all NAA's or has anyone had a better experience?

Hello, and good timing. I'm in exactly the same situation (although my CPL ME IR comes from South Africa).

I have recently taken in a lot of information that I'm still digesting myself, so I'll try to be brief AND clear. I have had a job out of flight school, but it didn't give me many hours, especially because of the pandemic, so I am a low-hour pilot as well.

If your CPL or ATPL theory subjects are EASA then that's fine, you can carry them over. If they are not, then you will need to either a. get theory credit from the CAA you're looking to get your CPL from, or b. if this is not possible, write theory again (I doubt this is the case for UK CAA theory).

For the practical part, this is where it gets a little complicated on whom you ask. Transport Malta - Civil Aviation Directorate will require you to do a minimum amount of hours BEFORE passing your EASA skilltest (see PEL notice No 80, version 2, page 3).

I'll copy-paste a part of it

After completion of CPL (A) or ATPL(A) exams, the applicant will need to complete the minimum flying requirements shown below at an Approved Training Organisation approved to conduct CPL modular course. Minimum instruction depending upon total hours as an aeroplane pilot:
• Level 1: Experience > 1000 hrs: Min 7 hrs (18 hrs credit) • Level 2: Experience 500 - 999 hrs: Min 10 hrs (15 hrs credit) • Level 3: Experience 250 - 499 hrs: Min 15 hrs (10 hrs credit) • Level 4: Experience 185 - 249 hrs: Min 20 hrs (5 hrs credit) • Level 5: Experience 155 - 184 hrs: Min 25 hrs (no credit)

Pass the Part-FCL CPL (A) Skill Test.

Similarly, some other CAAs (e.g. German LBA) will require a minimum of 15 hours instruction (in my case) before passing the skill test. Of these, up to 6 can be in an FSTD, and a minimum of 5 MUST be in MEP. Some ATOs will allow me to do the remaining 4 in SEP, which lowers the cost. ALL of this time can be IFR as well, so I can combine the MEP and IR phases into one combined phase.

There are plenty of people with A LOT more experience and knowledge than me, so I will give them a chance to reply. Besides I'm still sorting out the rest of the info in my own head, I don't want to confuse you or tell you stuff that isn't correct. My advice would be to get in touch with ATOs from different CAAs and tell them something like this:

You have a CPL SEP MEP ME IR (I assume, season to taste of course). You want an EASA SEP MEP ME IR. You would like to transfer your EASA theory (if not possible, do theory examas) and then do a reduced CPL (because you already have training), reduced SEP, reduced MEP, reduced IR.

Go from there and see what they say.

Several people have told me that an ATO asking you to convert your CPL / ATPL to their local PPL and then do modular all the way up to a CPL again either a. are scamming, or b. aren't sure how to handle a conversion, so they're going the "safe" route so as not to get into trouble with their CAA. Obviously, if you're doing a modular CPL it's going to be more expensive than just 5 - 15 hours.

Source: EU Aircrew Regulation / Appendix 3 to Part-FCL / B. ATP modular course - Aeroplanes / 1. Applicants for an ATPL (A)
Source: EU Aircrew Regulation / Appendix 3 to Part-FCL / E. CPL modular course - Aeroplanes (says you need to hold a PPL (A) issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention before you can enroll. Makes no mention of EU, EASA, EEZ, etc.

Also, some Scandinavian ATOs and a few French ones are asking me for an assessment flight before drawing up a training plan. This can be good, because based on your experience (especially if fresh), they will propose to their CAA a reduction in flight training. It may get approved or amended, but they can also draw up a training plan that looks just like what you find elsewhere (or more).

Hope that helps, good luck. I'll let you know as I find more interesting information.
By carlapilot

I am also in similar situation, I wanted to convert my UK CPL to EASA. I got the following information from Hungary:
- A CPL licence issued in third country may be converted to a PPL only!

- you must have a valid rating, otherwise conversion cannot be made

- the theoretical exams related to a conversion must be completed at the chosen Authority, therefore UK one is not accepted for conversion related purposes.

For a CPL they can issue a PPL only! And you must get the CPL again, even if some crediting is possible but training needed and after that the exams (theoretical and practical).

Option 1: you convert your CPL to a PPL. Get the EASA PPL(A) (for this theoretical exam – no foreign exams are accepted for conversion - and practical exam, new EASA medical and a new ICAO language exam certificate at level 4 at least is needed as follows). And after that get the CPL with special training syllabus crediting your previous experience. After completing the CPL(A) Skill test succesfully, apply for the CPL licence as Initial issue in the licensing system. If you completed the ATPL theoretical exam according to PART-FCL they do accept it for the issuance of ATPL(A) just please keep in mind that the validity of the certificate is 7 years. Valid rating could be converted into the EASA CPL after completing the Skill test.

Option 2: get the ATPL(A) licence (including a VALID rating) at the UK CAA and after that you can convert it directly to an EASA ATPL ( theoretical and practical exams, medical certification and New ICAO language proficiency exam is still needed).

I was also suggested a Hungarian ATO, here is their website:

They were really helpful, we clarified everything in order to be able to get the EASA licence asap.
I hope this information was useful for you and helped to get a clearer view.
By mohamad
Hi guys, I am having the PPL ground exam this week and i bought the Easy PPL practice exam . i am little confused there, there is a tests and exam in easy ppl which one is important to practice it as the tests is around 100 Q where as the exam around 20 Q .