Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Robin500
Does anyone have recent experience of how long they're taking at present?

I sent my application to renew my FROTL on 30th Aug, received an email next day stating they believed all documents requested were attached. heard nothing since!
By gustav
One student of ours completed the application in June for his PPL; still waiting now!! CAA's response when asked is "waiting for info from examiner," "documents blurred," "being dealt with by home worker," "delays due to Covid..."
Robin500 liked this
By Aerials
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Robin500, I commenced my FRTOL renewal process on 10 Aug by submitting the certified documents stated as being required.

During the submission I discovered that I could not input more than one file in where 2 are required, for instance my licence. Pages 1 & 4 or pages 2 & 3 were individual scans but I could only input one of them. Did I miss they wanted my revalidation certificate too? I must have for I received an email stating it was missing.

Once I got that certified, on 9 Sep I emailed to FCL all of the documents. Licence, revalidation, nearly expired FRTOL, passport, receipt for my initial application and finally, my English Language Certificate which I never had until a couple of months ago when my FRTOL was showing signs it needed renewing.

Yesterday I received an email to say that they hadn't received the payment of £22. I knew a renewal was fee-free but what was this then? Reading the email a bit more closely, it was for the ELP update. As I had never had ELP on my records before, I can understand that so this morning after a phone call to the number in the email, it got paid. I would've paid regardless, just to get the paperwork done with no more aggravation.

My process so far has been quite* stressful due to having to travel for getting documents certified then following an initial sift being satisfactory, receiving a rejection. Anyway, it's all done now and it should be coming soon.
*= but not when compared with other folk who are having major aggravation with FCL.
By Cookie
Aerials, out of interest, which licence type do you have? PPL / NPPL?

Cookie
By Robin500
Aerials. I had the same issues of only being able to upload a limited number of NPPL Licence pages, but I did attach the ratings and revalidation pages.

I had previously logged with them my ELP certificate level 6. Which as I understand doesn't expire. I did get an email within a couple of hours of submitting my application ,stating that they believed what I'd submitted was present and correct. I will give them a full month then if nothing heard I will phone them. But you're right. It is such a faff for something that should have had a lifetime validation, same as the NPPL. I understand the new one will!
Aerials liked this
By Cookie
NPPL is a sub-ICAO licence so there is no requirement for ELP to be stated on it. Request for payment of £22 is incorrect. You do not want ELP updating on your licence, you want your FRTOL renewed of which holding a current ELP is an integral part of the process. Adding ELP to your electronic record is FREE.

If the CAA choose to enter it on your licence, you shouldn't have to pay for it. See ORS5 No. 374 para 3.15. Suggest you ask for a refund!

Cookie
By Aerials
Cookie, I quite distinctly remember seeing on the CAA website that renewal of the FRTOL was free. I don't see that any more but I could be looking in the wrong place.

I found your reference and Note 4 dated 15 March 2021 and I just don't see anywhere a statement to that effect, I'm sorry to say. I don't know if there's a later edition but this copy states "When making an application to amend the LP licence endorsement, the applicant shall pay to the CAA a charge of £22 to update and re-issue the flight crew licence."

I'm very grateful to you for pointing out that there's an anomoly. I think it's a done deal but nevertheless, I'll email FCL tomorrow morning. My copy of SRG1106 states no charge so I'll attach that for them to see.
By Robin500
Aerials wrote:Cookie, NPPL.
Robin500, I understand the new (to me) FRTOL will be part of a re-issued NPPL but I don't have any firm info on that.

I can confirm you're absolutely correct. It arrived this morning . Just a single A4 sheet.
Their ears must have been burning :lol:
Aerials liked this
By Stampe
Came across a pilot who has been waiting since June for the reissue of their previously SOLI U.K. CPL.The CAA have taken the money but no action.The SOLI change was a requirement of the previous employer but it seems the CAA are punishing those now trying to get their U.K. licences back post EASA. Fortunately after a period of covid era unemployment work has been obtained using the EASA licence but the employer requires the U.K. licence be reopened.Unsurprisingly this pilot who wishes to remain anonymous out of fear of our vindictive CAA and is reluctant to complain reports that the authority they are currently licensed with is superb to deal with!
Regards Stampe
Fly Safe Fly Considerate Fly Compliant.
By Aerials
Aerials wrote: (snipped in places) Cookie, I quite distinctly remember seeing on the CAA website that renewal of the FRTOL was free. "When making an application to amend the LP licence endorsement, the applicant shall pay to the CAA a charge of £22 to update and re-issue the flight crew licence."
I think it's a done deal but nevertheless, I'll email FCL tomorrow morning. My copy of SRG1106 states no charge so I'll attach that for them to see.

I did email FCL that very morning with all the evidence quoted of their rules and just received the reply, (copied and pasted)
"Dear Mr Aerials,
Thank you for your email.
The additional £22 was for the application for the English Language Proficiency. You didn’t hold this before and now because we have updated the licence there is an additional cost.
Apologies, I should of explained this better in my previous email.
Kind Regards,"

So, as I thought it would be. I'm still very grateful to Cookie for providing the references in their rules and I understand fully that adding the ELP should've been free as part of the renewal process. I think I'll put this £22 down to 'an experience' and leave it at that.
There still has been no paper correspondence from them so perhaps they got round to 'un-pended' my file today even though the money was paid on 23 Sep.
By fiftyonenorth
I recently renewed my SEP rating and replaced my CAA brown licence with a Part-FCL licence. Nothing heard for four weeks and then CAA Licensing asked for my course completion certificate and an English Language Proficiency certificate. Provided these within two working days and then nothing more heard until new licence arrived just two days prior to my 8 week temporary certificate expiring. So, in short, the current turnaround time is circa eight weeks.