Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi!

I have a question on ferrying an FAA registered airplane from one European country to another after purchase and for final delivery. I know you are not approved to leave the country of your license issued but is there a special flight permit possible to fly with my EASA license? Or is the only possibility to fly with a pilot with FAA license to act as PIC? Thank you!
speedbird1229 wrote:Hi!

I have a question on ferrying an FAA registered airplane from one European country to another after purchase and for final delivery. I know you are not approved to leave the country of your license issued but is there a special flight permit possible to fly with my EASA license? Or is the only possibility to fly with a pilot with FAA license to act as PIC? Thank you!

My understanding is that you would need an FAA certificate

Ian
Probably the easiest way to act as PIC of a N-registered aeroplane outside of the country of pilot licence issue is to obtain a FAA certificate issued on the basis of your ICAO licence in accordance with 14 CFR 61.75 (sometimes called a piggyback licence). This is a paperwork process only. If you wish to have an instrument rating included, you will also need to complete a written examination (Instrument Foreign Pilot - IFP). You will then need to complete a FAA Flight Review with a FAA CFI prior to exercising the privileges of the FAA certificate.

Alternative, as you have mentioned, is to use a FAA certificated pilot to act as PIC.

ATB Cookie
FAA CFI CFII MEI AGI IGI
Thanks, really appreciate the help. My understanding has been that in order to get the piggyback license from FAA, I need to physically go and pick it up in the US which is a problem during these COVID times. As there is no FAA office in EU at the moment. Or has this changed?