Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By muffin
We fly a group owned Eurostar EV97A which was built from kit as a Group A aircraft. A new member wishes to join the group who has an NPPL(M) and has around 700 hours on an EV97 which is a microlight and the only difference to the A version is that it does not have an aux electric fuel pump.. What does he need to do to switch to an LAPL(A) in order to fly our EV97A?

Does he really have to do the whole LAPL course again?
By Balliol
I’d advise him to do the NPPL(M) to NPPL(SSEA) for now and wait out for further uk license derogations
By Irv Lee
Just need as specified in 2.1.2 here and should never need a lapl* for that aircraft just the ssea added into the nppl:
http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence ... V%2011.pdf
And maybe a radio licence.... many nppl-m don't bother

*unless leaving uk, and assuming uk stays in easa... If it doesn't then a uk lapl won't be any good outside uk either.
By muffin
Thanks Irv. I had a reply from Cookie as well which confirmed the situation. He only wants UK at the moment so the LAPL is a useful extension depending on the dreaded B word!
All this just for the addition of an electric fuel pump.............he actually has more hours on “type” than all the current group members put together.
By Irv Lee
Well I do not know if it is still possible (if it is, i would assume only for non-easa aircraft) but fading memory of it involved proving to somewhere (LAA?) that you had an nppl-ssea and an icao medical and getting a certificate from "them".
If we end up with a non easa Brexit, UK lapls won't be usable outside the UK. So we will have given up a voluntary "European-plus" licence cross-recognition system (JAR) that worked at both private and commercial level, AND national uk licences allowed to fly to France (which I contend is where most UK based pilots want to visit abroad, if at all), for nothing, less in fact, at huge cost in money and person-hours. Just think how that nppl ssea process could have developed over the past 12 years if we hadn't lost momentum and put a millionth of the effort spent on easa to expand ssea agreements abroad instead