Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
#1596522
I'm in the process of converting my NPPL (SSEA) to LAPL. I've got the LAPL medical sorted, so that's one hurdle out of the way. Next step is to actually convert the licence. As I got my NPPL while I was still at university, I used my parents address on the paperwork. Now I have a place of my own i'd like to change the address on my licence.

I can't see any way of doing this when filling out the online form to convert from NPPL to LAPL. I'm guessing I have to send a paper form (SRG2156) off to the CAA, with appropriate certified copies. Is it better to also include an SRG1104 paper form at the same time to cover the NPPL-LAPL conversion, or can I do one online, and one by post?

Also, if doing both by post, would it have to be two envelopes, as I notice the address update goes to 'Shared Services Centre' at Aviation House, while the conversion form goes to the licensing department.


Finally, I'm thoroughly confused about the whole English Proficiency thing when converting my national licence. I hold a valid FRTOL - do I need to do anything? If my attempt at understanding is correct, I don't as this should prove I have sufficient proficiency in English.

Thanks for the help and advice!
#1596543
Have you done any flight test since 2008? Or your radio test? If so you might have English 6 permanently logged already. Without knowing, you were given English level 4 in early 2008 because you had a frtol but it only lasted for 4 years
#1596562
Irv Lee wrote:Have you done any flight test since 2008? Or your radio test? If so you might have English 6 permanently logged already. Without knowing, you were given English level 4 in early 2008 because you had a frtol but it only lasted for 4 years


I sat my NPPL skills test, and FRTOL exam in May 2012. My FRTOL expires in 2012. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything on my FRTOL that'd say what level of English proficiency I have - that'd be far too sensible!
#1596578
I doubt the radio examiner would have forgotten to tick the box for this so you should be ok. You can phone the caa licensing to ask what your level is, or probably quicker if you still know your radio examiner to ask him or her if they have ever not ticked the language box.
#1596579
Irv Lee wrote:I doubt the radio examiner would have forgotten to tick the box for this so you should be ok. You can phone the caa licensing to ask what your level is, or probably quicker if you still know your radio examiner to ask him or her if they have ever not ticked the language box.


Thanks, will give one of them a call on Monday.

Regarding the simultaneous change of address, is it two envelopes (different departments), or can a paper 'change of address' form be included with the NPPL-LAPL conversion paperwork? I'm guessing if I do the online conversion and then send off the change of address form that might cause problems at the CAA!
#1596589
They might just use the address on your 1104 but personally if you have the required photocopy I would send the change of address with the 1104 to the 1104 address. I doubt you will pay for address change if they are printing anyway.
#1596594
Irv Lee wrote:They might just use the address on your 1104 but personally if you have the required photocopy I would send the change of address with the 1104 to the 1104 address. I doubt you will pay for address change if they are printing anyway.

Thanks :) According to the CAA Scheme of Charges just an address change is free. However, they won't just change an address if you don't have an EASA licence... you have to then pay to get an EASA licence!
#1596607
MidlandsPilot wrote:.However, they won't just change an address if you don't have an EASA licence... you have to then pay to get an EASA licence!

Yes either the form or associated web page (can't remember which) says you must change to an EASA licence if you change address but simply not true. It is not just that process alone trying it on, from sometime last year GA callers asking licensing questions that do NOT require an EASA licence as a solution were (maybe still are) met with an answer that starts with "first you must get an easa licence..." and of course, like the address process here, very few challenge it. When challenged (successfully) there is no embarrassment or apology, they seem to think that telling people to spend a 3 figure sum (easa medical plus conversion) and wait weeks (when a cheap no waiting non Easa solution is easier and legal) is ok
#1596831
I spoke to the CAA this morning. They confirmed I had Level 6 on my FRTOL.

The address from my medical was showing on their system, despite the lady on the phone admitting the two systems don’t usually talk to each other! She did say if you just put your new address in when filling out the online form that’ll update it anyway.

Thanks for the help everyone.
kanga, Kemble Pitts liked this