Where have you been? What have you seen?
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In Nakhon Phanom at the moment.
Routed Nok (VTCY) to Udon Thani, then Khon Kaen, and into Nakhon Phanom. VTUW.
I'm here to do several weeks flying around Thailand in the RV9A.
Tomorrow I plan to fly along the Mekong River to Ubon Ratchathani with Laos on the far shore.
Pictures etc to be put on the website, maybe some on Sunday.
Old Pilot liked this
Have you been to Phuket Airpark yet? I flew from there a few years ago in the airfield owner's (Khun Suchard) Zenair CH701, both around Phuket itself and also across to Krabi Airport - great fun booking in where the previous aircraft to land had been a 747! I know larger GA types have landed at Phuket Airpark, so I guess the RV should be no problem.

Have a great trip!
Looks like Khon Kaen is going to be one of your regular stops for fuel from Chiang Mai on that route Mike.

Is the goverment flying school still open at Nakhon Phanom?

How will you follow the Mekong to NongKhai?

Sadly no airfield there so back to Udon I guess?
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We plan to go to Phuket Air Park in the next fortnight.
It's likely to be closed soon as the land is up for sale for too much money, but development is more important than open space airfields anyway.
Since GA is not welcome at Phuket Airport there will be nowhere for us to go near Phuket in the future.

I will have to do a border run to extend my visa around the 29th.
We also planned to go to Koh Samui, but the landing fee is 20,000 Baht, and 5,000 Baht per night parking.
I tend to think I won't fly Bangkok Airways because they are so anti small aeroplanes.

The University school is still here at Nakhon Phanom, and they are friendly. We could have parked the RV9A at their facility... Something to think of for another time.
Their DA42 and DA40 aircraft are doing well. The Extra 300 is grounded while its propeller is overhauled.

It's hot here, and as per the song, we always seem to get going under the midday Sun.

Next stop is Ubon Ratchathani.

There is Avgas at these places, but usually in 200 litre drums, and we don't need that much. They will store what you don't use for two weeks...
Khon Kaen has a Bowser so it's a lot less wasteful.