Where have you been? What have you seen?
By dppintr
This summer we visited Spain and Portugal for holidays. Technically, any pilot who did not get his/her license at a fair could fly this trip. So I am afraid there was nothing special or difficult about it, and there are no dramatized stories to tell about it. It was nevertheless a great holiday, and we enjoyed it a lot :D

We started the trip on Saturday, August 1st, from Hilversum airfield. We flew via Tours to San Sebastian. The next day we also visited Bilbao. On Monday we flew to Sandander, where we stayed for one night. On Tuesday the mountains on the north coast of Spain were in Clouds. We flew along the coast to the west, around the clouds to Leon. On Wednesday we continued to Porto, where we stayed for two nights. To avoid handling cost, we used a small airport north-east of Porto.

On Friday we flew to Lisbon, to the airport Cascais, used for general aviation traffic. Our son was only to join us during the first week. In Lisbon we bought a ticket home for him from Faro. On Sunday, August 9th, we flew to Portimao in the south of Portugal, and from there our son left for Faro early the next morning. We then continued along Portugal's south coast to Seville in Spain.

On Wednesday we flew to a small airport east of Malaga. Our intention was to continue to Granada, but there was something wrong with the wiring of one of the magneto's. We asked the maintenance company at the airport to repair it, while we were going to visit Granada by bus. Because the plane was not ready yet on Friday morning, we had no time left anymore to visit Cordoba that day, because the airport there closed early. As we also wanted to visit Salamanca, which airport is only available for VFR traffic in the weekend, we first flew to Badajoz. From there we flew on Saturday, August 15th, to Salamanca.

After Salamaca we flew to Burgos on Sunday. On Monday we flew to Pamplona, the city that is famous worldwide for the running of the bulls during the San Fermín festival in July. It was the last city that we visited in Spain during this trip. On Tuesday we flew to Rennes, along the south-west coast of France. There we visited an old friend of the family. The next morning we returned to Hilversum.

A trip report with pictures can be found here.

Last edited by dppintr on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
G-BLEW, Pete L, pauldean liked this
By Radar
dppintr,

THe truth will out !! With a little bit of (internet based) planning, it's a piece of cake. Welcome to Europe.
By Rallye
Thanks for the report.I will try it this summer,but starting in St Laurent Medoc (LFDU).I already went to Lisboa,but straight via Valladolid.
I am a belgian pilot living in Zwitserland and having my plane in St Laurent and it is my first comment on your forum.Hi.
By dppintr
Rallye wrote:Thanks for the report.I will try it this summer,but starting in St Laurent Medoc (LFDU).I already went to Lisboa,but straight via Valladolid.
I am a belgian pilot living in Zwitserland and having my plane in St Laurent and it is my first comment on your forum.Hi.

Hi Rallye, thanks for the reply, and "hartelijk welkom" or "Soyez le bienvenu". Like Paul, looking forward for a report of your trip this summer :)
How was Lisboa? And you have got your plane pretty far away from where you live, isn't it?
By Rallye
Yes I live far away from my airplane,but I am often in the area.
Lisboa was very nice and I landed in Cascais,really amazing landing.I did St Laurent:Valladolid/Cascais and on return we stopped in Fuentem specialized in gliding.Thank you for your welcome,dank u voor uw vriendelijke welcom Merci pour votre accueil.

Sorry but I don't know how to put pictures...
By Rallye
Hello.I did a message saying that I go with my Rallye to Spain in september.t is planned for the start the 11/09.I try several times to contact San Sebastian,my first landing to have a slot,but the answer is always "wrong email adress".Do you have a solution,the adress is those from the AIP.Thanks for your help.Next step is Valladolid and Vitoria.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
SkyDemon gives an email address of 'operacionesEAS <at> aena.es' and a phone number of +34 943 668 504

Is that what the AIP says?

Edit: I've now found the AIP, and those are the same details - sorry.

Edit2: Country code transcription error now corrected.
Last edited by Dave W on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Radar
Don't know how those numbers were generated guys but +39 is the international code for Italy.

The San Sebastian airport website has a general number +34 902 404 704. Rallye, you could start your info search there. Typically for the larger Spanish airports, there is little pilot info published on the websites, kind of reflects their attitude in general to GA, from my experience at least. If you are planning to use AENA run airports beware of mandatory handling charges. a few years ago I headed south with a spanish buddy with the intention of visiting friends in Malaga. There was a mandatory handling charge of the order of 200 euro. Do you intend to overnight in Vallodolid?
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Radar wrote:Don't know how those numbers were generated guys but +39 is the international code for Italy.

My transcription error for a single digit in the country code: I double-checked the rest of the number but not that!